Monday, January 18, 2010

Another thing I always swore I'd never do



Birthdays are special. Children deserve to feel (every day) that they are cherished beyond description. Now, I understand that everyone feels and shows love differently. For me, the way I show love often includes food. Homemade, sweet, delectably fattening food. Which explains my delight and determination when the little bug gets an idea like this, or this, for her birthday. They aren't perfect by any stretch, but slaving over her fantasy cake was one little way that I tried to make her birthday perfect.

This year was quite different. When I asked "what kind of cake do you want?" the only response I got was "a kid one." When we went to look at mixes so she could pick her flavor, the reaction was one of pure disinterest. There were no months of perusing the Wilton books, no sketches or continual redesigns. When I said, "let's go to Walmart to pick out favors for your friends," she took off running for the bakery where the overpriced, under-tasty cakes waited patiently for someone to take them home. It was then that I understood what "a kid one" really meant.

This triggered a mixed reaction from me, but I conceded and agreed that a purchased cake would suffice for this year. All the way to the checkout stand I lamented over the decision. Was I really going to pay $15 for a cake I could make for $3??? Hmmm. In reality, the stressed out and sleep deprived side of me was terribly relieved. So the party plans evolved.

The last 11 months I've been bombarded with "can I have gifts for my birthday this year mom?" to which I had repeatedly said yes. So, the cake set into motion a series of take-the-easy-way-out Birthday preparations.

OH MY HECK! I'm so glad!
Pizza from Costco, Decorating sugar cookies*, a bunch of balloon games, purchased favor everything, and easy punch. Not only did I survive the experience, the kids had fun, I was not stressed out, I seriously enjoyed each moment, AND had enough energy to clean up after they all went home. Unbelievable.

Perhaps buying a cake wasn't so bad after all.



*Despite taking the easy way out on most things, I couldn't bring myself to purchase sugar cookie dough or icing, so I actually did do something myself



Photobucket

1 comments:

Angela S said...

It looks great! Good job and don't feel bad for taking the short cuts, you're a single, working mom. You work hard!