Friday, January 2, 2009

it's that time again!!

wahoo!! it's birthday time! only this year, we're going to have our first official kid party. i'm so excited it's ridiculous. i mean really. i'm starting to wonder which of us this party is really for.



you see that? only one week to go. ONE WEEK! that means i've got to get a move on. we've got the cake picked out (i didn't learn from last year and pulled out the cake decor books again), the decorations and favors planned, all seems to be going swimmingly. except one thing.

you see this?

THAT is what is stressing me out.

why, you ask? well, even though I KNOW her birthday is only three weeks after Christmas and that there is no way on the glorious green earth that she needs anything at all, i didn't exactly clear this with her before i planned it that way. truth be told, she took it fairly well. better than she's taking the no-pinata-in-the-house news anyway.

no, no, the reason it's stressing me out is that i've transitioned this whole deal from a quick and easy 1 1/2 hour kids show up, play a game or two, eat cake, she opens presents and everyone leaves deal into a 1 1/2 hour how-on-earth-do-i-entertain-them-all kind of deal. in short, i'm panicking about my self-proclaimed role of cruise director.

the theme is PINK and PRINCESSES (theme, or themes?). can you tell by the invites? i'm being sneaky and throwing some yellow in there for my own visual sanity, but other than that it's all pink. and crowns. and pink crowns.

here's the low down: we're going to do pin the *something* on the *somewhere*, build our own wands, and eat cake. other than that, i have no idea. all my energies have been focused on stuff i can MAKE to get ready. what on earth do i do with 6 girls for that long, or will they play on their own and take care of it for me? good. ness.

so here's where you come in. what are your favorite kid party games? ones you liked as a kid, your kids like(d), something you schemed up on the back of a restaurant napkin, i'm not being picky. i just have 6 days to figure this out, and i'm not sure that's adequate for my one little brain. i welcome any and all ideas.

5 comments:

Alexandra said...

Sounds like so much fun! Maybe you could cut out paper crowns and give them markers, stickers, glitter, etc. to decorate them... They could watch a short princess movie such as Barbie as The Island Princess or Aeryn's fav. Disney Princess film or do a Disney Princess sing-a-long movie (Yippee for being interactive) or My Little Pony Princess promenade or Once Upon a Mattress...
There is always decorating t-shirts or playing dress-up...
I am sure they will have a wonderful time no matter what. All the activities you have already planned sound like more than enough and the invites are darling!

Laurie said...

They could make crowns. We had good luck with them decorating their own cupcakes. Serving miniature food; like hamburger buns made with vanilla wafers and chocolate covered thin cookie for the hamburger, color coconut for the lettuce..a little bit of honey glues it all together...no I think we had a bit of frosting for the mayonaise/glue the honey held the sesame seeds to the top. have fun

Anonymous said...

I had the same dilemma for my son's party this year. I find twister always funny, but since they all are sweet princesses I guess the idea with making a crown is really good.

I just fund your blog and I hope you don't mind that I have put you on my side bar. I find that you two are having a great time.

Suzy

Amanda/Mandy said...

I think you could pin the crown, or wand on the princess. Once the wands are made you could have a parade of princesses with fun music, maybe from your hall to the kitchen and then treats.

Patty Cake said...

The most successful BP I ever had was outside (impossible this time of year) and we did a treasure hunt. You could hide "jewels", "flowers", around your "party area" and have clues?, map?, string?, to help them find them. They could use them as part of their wand building or crown creations. I have seen these simple colorful halos of flowers or star garlands with ribbons that hang down with small flowers glued to the ends. I had a friend whose daughter had one and she wore it everywhere for two weeks. I think it sounds like you will have a great time, as long as you don't try to have twenty kids. 5 is a good number.