Saturday, January 10, 2009

mission completion



so the party is over. 'twas fun. 'twas a learning experience.

what went well:
*balloon races (great idea Amanda)
*fabric bags & crayons
*prizes
*crafts
*painting on balloons
*aeryn's reaction to the cake that stressed me out. made it all worth it.
*the time frame. one and a half hours was perfect.
*actually saying 'yes' when Amanda offered to help

what went not so well:
*having aeryn invite the girl she said is "not so nice with me" (she didn't come)
*the sugared rims on plastic cups
*getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night for the 3-4 nights previous
*the no gift thing. seriously, aeryn is fine (and yes, when her birthday actually gets here this week i do have a gift for her. i'm not that heartless.) it was the parent confusion and guilt that is challenging. i had planned on doing this again, now i'm not so sure.
*using the hacksaw to cut PVC pipe for castle towers in my living room the morning of the party (effective, but messy)


and now, i'm off to bed. this thing wore me out.

7 comments:

Angela S said...

Talk about super mom! It looks great. I like the don't bring a gift thing because it doesn't feel like begging. But that is good to know it was a bit of a stressor.

Katie said...

That's an incredible cake! Wow, you are really talented!

April and Michael Maughan said...

Awesome cake! I know what you mean about the no gift thing. I tried it with Emma once. I thought the parents would appreciate it because I was sick of trying to find gifts and money for all the birthday parties. When I did it and they called I just said fine, bring a present if you want. I don't like it when she gets presents I don't want her to have! You know toys we don't want in our home. Oh, well. Great job on your party. I think I'll be using some of the ideas when Emma turns six this summer.

Amanda/Mandy said...

Fabulous picture of the cake action!! It was a wonderful party and all the girls seemed to be having fun. It is fine that they didn't need to bring something, good luck with the stress and I hope the 1st day of student teaching went well.

Amanda/Mandy said...

Fabulous picture of the cake action!! It was a wonderful party and all the girls seemed to be having fun. It is fine that they didn't need to bring something, good luck with the stress and I hope the 1st day of student teaching went well.

amber said...

YOU are AMAZING! You are the best mom ever! After all these years and 4 kids, I am sad to say that for the 11 yr old bday party this week, we took friends to the movies so I could skip all the stress of the party! Maybe I should hire you for the rest of the parties this year!

Anonymous said...

You really did a fantastic job with the cake and all the decoration. I know how you feel, it is always a stress but a child's face is our reward.


Suzy