Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Evolution of a Birthday Cake!

You know how kids get these amazing ideas of things they want and we, as loving and doting parents, try to accomodate (where reasonable, of course.)? That is the story of the cake. For two months we'd planned on having a princess party and using a great castle Bundt cake pan I saw at Williams-Sonoma. A couple weeks ago she stumbled upon a cake decorating book and wouldn't you know it, the whole plan changed. Here's what she found:



Photobucket



We went from princesses to jungle. I happen to think that's one of the cutest cakes I've ever seen so NATURALLY I agreed. The fact that I only use an icing bag once a year was not a deterrant. I mean, how hard can it be?

Several of the decorations had to be made in advance with royal icing with adequate time to set before being added to the cake. All day Saturday was spent making flowers, and animals, and more flowers because the icing was the wrong consistancy and they squished together shapelessly, and more critters because I didn't know what I was doing, and so forth. Here we have the evolution of a Birthday cake...



Heffalump Legs


Elephant legs and the first batch of flowers.

Heffalump


Completed elephants, with tusks and tails!

Lion


The lions. I realized after the fact that I didn't give them little red tongues. Oh well, next time ;)



Gorilla


My personal favorites. I spent probably two hours straight making gorillas. The legs had to set before they could get hair, which had to set before they got arms, which had to set before... you get the picture. I have a small obsession with the cute little bananas they are holding!



Evolution


Starting to take shape!

Cake 2


Done.

Cake


I think it looked cuter in person because of the animals spread in different directions and the camera just couldn't capture it adequately. I can't help it. I'm really proud of this. Even though it caused me two days of stress and anxiety, I'd do it all (and more) again in a heartbeat.

Although her birthday was Monday, we had a family party Sunday evening to celebrate. Aeryn was so very excited and wouldn't sit still or look at me for any pictures. I talked to her about how she would blow the candles out after we sang 'Happy Birthday' and so after the very first line of the song... there they went! I suppose I wasn't too clear about getting to the end of the song rather than just the words. My baby girl is 5!!

Kindergarten, here we come.


Gratzie

7 comments:

Peterson Family said...

That is the COOLEST cake I have EVER seen! Did you get directions to make it or was that all in your head... cause I think if it was, you need to switch to making cakes for a living!! :) Love it!

Laurie said...

And I suppose they ATE IT? That was so cute. But you may want to make sure Aeryn never sees another cake decorating book.

Angela S said...

That really is the coolest cake I've ever seen too. I think its cool how our love for our kids sometimes comes out in these creations we never though we'd do. Congrats on your baby turning five!

Liz Johnston said...

That is amazing! Awesome job.

Kell said...

WOW, I can't believe you made that. I am truly amazed!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That cake looks AMAZING. Are we really related? I can't even frost a cake without having it fall apart let alone create an entire jungle.

Anonymous said...

You know, I would have found little jungle animals from the Little People zoo or something. Way, way cool. You have so much more patience than I ever will. Thanks for sharing!!