Sunday, March 28, 2010

Happy-not-quite-Easter



The bug is spending next week (spring break) in with her dad. Which means she'll be gone for Easter. This will not be the first Easter I have been away from her Easter morning, thanks to my favorite professor of all time scheduling our field work over Easter weekend, but it will be her first non-Christmas holiday with her dad.

Surprisingly, I have not been sappy or moody about this one. The anxiety that often strikes as early as 10 days prior to her departure has been safely stashed in the closet and not bugged me at all. I'm really happy for her to see him. She hasn't seen him since August and seriously, that is a long time for a kid to not see their dad. I know many kids have it worse, but she is extremely attached to him and craves this visit something fierce. It will be good for her, and I want what is good for her.

Oddly enough I haven't any plans set up. Oh, I might build a table, a bench, or a bed, I'm definitely running up the canyon, and I signed up for a 5k trail run. Some friends are going on vacation to a sunnier and warmer locale and though I initially said I'd accompany them, I bailed. Can't quite bring myself to vacation without her when there are so many things I'd like to spend money on for us to do together. The only thing I know about the week is this: I don't have to work and I am THRILLED!

{But I love my job.}

We just all need a break sometimes.

In honor of her not-going-to-be-around status, Grandma planned a little Easter day celebration for today. She had a treasure hunt to an Easter basket (in the shower - 9 clues to get there!), we dyed eggs, and strawberry shortcake for dessert. We'll chat about the spirituality of it more tomorrow for family night before we head to the library again for a storytelling of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes which will give ample opportunity to discuss hope, faith, and sacrifice.



Needless to say, she loved the day. I loved the day. Grandma and Grandpa loved the day. In our own special way we are acknowledging Easter and it feels pretty terrific.

Photobucket

1 comments:

junglemama said...

You guys beat me to it! Happy Easter!