Friday, March 28, 2008

Easter (mine)

The trip was FABULOUS!!! Yes, it helped that I like the class. Yes, I was bummed about missing Easter morning with my munchkin. Yes, it helped that I love this professor. This was beyond a doubt the best GEO trip yet.

We headed down to Capitol Reef Nat'l Park Saturday am but took a few detours and stops along the way to see different sedimentary neatness. The weather was perfect (50's & 60's), during the daytime anyway. We did all freeze our buns off that night, but it made the campfire and company all the better.

A few pics: (I am fully prepared for these to not mean anything to anyone else. I mean, who else takes pictures of rocks just to remember bedding features?)


Davy has a spring GEO trip tradition which involves sticking a peep to the back of the car, letting it stay there for the duration, and then eating it upon retuning to campus. Here's the before shot. (If you knew him you'd understand.)



The San Rafael Swell



A truly phenomenal bentonite layer. Yes, I know you don't really care about that. It's nifty though because bentonite is formed from a THICK layer of volcanic ash that weathers and lithifies (becomes a rock). It's really helpful for correlating historical events so peeps (as in people, not marshmallows) like me really like this stuff.



See? Pictures of rocks. Just because they show these nifty cross bedding lines. Sheesh.



We hiked up a stream to a box canyon. I just thought this was beautiful. One day I'll learn how to take pictures that somewhat do justice to the true beauty of the moment.



***To make it even better, I came home to an email from another Professor asking me if I'd substitute for his distance ed class again. Wahoo!!***

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a father who takes 'Roadside Geology of (name a state)' books on trips. I can definitely appreciate the love of rocks. Don't understand it as much as I wish I did, but do appreciate. Kinda like not playing the piano but still loving Rachmaninoff, I imagine :)