Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Moving!!!!!



So, there are simply not enough changes taking place this summer.

JD and I are blending families in a seriously awesome merger (boy, am I gettng the better deal on that one!). This always brings challenges (I hear anyway) but they are worth it. So. Very. Worth. It.

I realize that I've been skimpy on the details, so if you will indulge me for a moment, I'm feeling the inclination to share a little bit.

JD has spent the last couple years working on his Masters degree in Environmental Physiology (Or something of the sort. Sorry if I goofed it up, honey.). He has defended his thesis and is preparing to graduate in a couple weeks. Oh, how I can't wait for that!!! I've not been around for most of his hard work, but he did rehearse his thesis defense with me over video chat a few times so I feel somewhat invested (besides the whole love him and marry him reasons of course). His topic? Something about thermoregulation and other physiological mumbo-jumbo that he sums up as "Does running in the heat suck?" I'll let you come up with your own answer to that one, after all, you may like that sort of thing.

His goal in life is to become a professor. His dad is one, and after seeing many of the perks that go with it and finding a subject he is passionate about, it's something JD is really looking forward to. Only professors need a few more letters after their name than M.S. This fall begins his Ph.D. adventure.

This adventure began before he and I crossed paths, and has been a subject of discussion the entire time we've known one another. Long story short, he had acceptances from two schools on opposite coasts and after much consideration, we've chosen Oregon. Which means we're moving. Soon.

Ok, maybe not that soon. July, probably. Which means that now we're blending families, looking for employment, moving, re-figuring custody arrangements, and figuring out what to do with my house (along with the silliness of trying to appease other peoples expectations for what our small, intimate wedding "ought" to be. Ok, it's just me having to deal with that.). Based upon the stressful life events scale found here, my current year score is 249, well within the "moderate" category which means "you are in danger of having stress affect your overall health - and it may be already interfering with your abilities to function normally and handle everyday issues." I would have agreed with that yesterday when Aeryn was fussing over every single thing, but today? I'm way too smitten and giddy to have difficulty with daily issues. Silly stress list. Though I do wish it was summer vacation. Right now.

So there you go. A big announcement. Does anyone know if it's windy in Eugene? I hear running in the wind is lousy.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Amanda/Mandy said...

It wasn't windy when I was there for my brother's graduation. I'll ask him though to make sure. It was also very pretty in June when I was there. Congrats on all the exciting news and plans.

Angela S said...

I'd imagine you guys have done the big wedding thing before with previous marriages. Do what you want!!!!! Go small. Take care of yourself. I'm excited for you guys and will be praying the stress will be manageable!

Anonymous said...

W. O. W. And I thought MY marriage and blending families thing was a lot to get adjusted to. (Still is, though I got teenagers in the bargain.) Good luck, even though I'll miss knowing you're not so far away. And I agree -- do what you want for the wedding, whatever route that is. Steve and I MUCH preferred our informal open house the second time around (I wore jeans, for crying out loud), than the formal stuff we both did the first time. Love ya!!

Kristi said...

First off, Yay for Oregon!
Second, the real question is "does it suck to run in the rain?" That's going to be much more of a problem than running in wind or heat.
Third, I'm with the rest of your friends: do whatever the heck you want. I have a friend who just got remarried and they ran away and got married all by themselves. (they each have 5 kids, so you only have one each isn't so bad!) We'll be there and support you in whatever you want to do... and if that means you don't want us there, that's okay too :-)

Katie said...

Wow! I can't imagine all that stress! July is just around the corner, how exciting for you guys! Do you have a wedding date yet? I'm really really, beyond words, happy and excited for you!