Pshaw.
Whatev.
That's what she said.
No really, they said it.
Friday night JD and I took the girls roller skating. It was family skate night for Aeryn's school so admission was free. We rented skates and took a scooter for a night of self-propelled entertainment.
On the way in, JD noticed a rather unusual sign which (regrettably) I didn't take a picture of. It stressed the need for knee and shoulder pads, helmets, and other protective gear - for those over 21 years of age. Uh huh, yeah, sure. WhatEVER. We had a little laugh at that and went on our merry little way. I mean, we've each seen the coordination levels of our offspring. Surely they are the ones who need to be encased in protective gear from head to toe.
Let's just say; they were right. We were wrong. Roller (insert wheeled footwear of choice here) ing is not so easy as it used to be! The girls had a blast, but the each tired very quickly of the roller skates. I'm soooo glad scooters are allowed! Honestly, it's a blast for them. So Little and Big squirts traded off on the scooter and JD & me traded off sitting with the kiddos and trying not to die a sad, unnecessary death.
We succeeded, btw. Even if my calves were pretty sore the next morning.
At one point after going full circle with the little squirt, I tried to step off the rink and nearly lost any sense of stability I may have once had. There was darling grandparent couple watching who just smiled at me with a look of "you're such a good sport to be trying that." That isn't how I felt inside, but I appreciated their empathy.
Which means I think I get it now. Over 21 should not skate.






0 comments:
Post a Comment