When I bought this house, I was torn between cursing the messes left by the previous owners and praising the fact that they were able to clean it up as much as they had. The day we moved in, we literally loaded up the Budget truck with a load for the dump (sadly almost full) - and that was after friends had lovingly donated their time and trailer for a previous load or two.
Granted, half of those loads were old, rodent destroyed cabinets and smelly carpeting, but I digress.
Never did I think I'd be happy about finding trash left around, but I tell you what, I'm having fun with the random bits of wood surfacing everytime I dig deeper in the garden.
I confess I don't like this sign as much as the Halloween one. The wood is still naturally weathered and truly fantastic, but the handwritten look I thought I wanted is not speaking to my heart and soul. Once I find where I packed the paintbrushes and can quit painting with Q-tips I'm sure it will be easier to get what I envision.
SO - I need your suggestions. Should I sand it off and repaint it completely? Polish the letters a bit more with a tiny brush? Connect the letters like cursive? Sand and distress the writing? Leave it as is? Talk to me.
I'm already scheming up ideas for the other 10 or so pieces similar to this one from the falling-apart-trellis. This is fun.
(Btw: I love the imperfect nature of these cubby shelves. They work SO WELL for the way my life is and they actually look really great without being perfect. And the various colors in my books really helps with the "bring more color into my life" thing that I've been working on for a while now. Anywho - They are fabulous.)




3 comments:
My recommendation: pack it up and mail it to me. I like it the way it is! Also send me those paintings behind the sign... what a pretty spot you have in your house! :) Of course, I'm kidding, but I do really really like it as is. But if you do decide to mail all that to someone, put me at the top of the list...
I love it the way it is; but you could add a rusticly drawn pumpkin or leaf at each side.
Loving all the decorating. Also those oil paintings look fabulous! I remember making those - so much fun!
Post a Comment