We have this fabulous wheat field behind our house.
Fabulous because not only does it look really awesome when the city lights across the way are starting to appear at twilight, but awesome because it's part of a welfare farm. Which means that all the labor put in is for the benefit of those who are struggling. I love this farm, and as it turns out, the land has been re-zoned but there are no plans to build at present. Hallelujah!
Around the edge, there is a little ridge that separates the harvestable land from the fences and residences around the perimeter. This little ridge was left with standing wheat and after the harvest was finished I took a look out there and thought "hmmm."
So gallavant around with scissors, we did! And gallavanting is not complete without mismatched patterns of pink, that yes, she wore in public.
It was fabulous. Actually, I feel a great sense of responsibility to leave the field alone so we stayed at the little patch right adjacent to our backyard and snipped only the stuff along our property line. Though you can see the wire fence that Aeryn knows all too well how to get through. I try to not let her play out there but I'm not going to lie, looking out the kitchen window to a child prancing through a wheat field feels quintessentially small-town American.
And I'm learning that I like that.
Wheat needs a haircut, don't you know?
Well, this was initially planned to go above the bookcase where the stems of berries are now but it just didn't have the right ooomph. So some sits atop the piano and the rest in the bathroom. You agree, I know you do.
I can't wait to go snip some long stemmed grasses from the floodplain around the lake. What dead stuff is floating around your house in the name of decorating?








1 comments:
The wheat looks great. There are tons of things to do with wheat weaving...ornaments for your tree..
if you look at the http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/10/07/dining/cooking/1194822343127/no-knead-bread-revisited.html it talks about the vinegar..I looked it up.
Post a Comment