Thursday, October 14, 2010

I was on track, until the strange knocks came

Today is special. At least, it is to me. For us here in the Beehive State it is "Fall Break"; also affectionately referred to as "UEA break" (Utah Education Association- they host a huge conference over these days) or more accurately the "Deer Hunt." I have heard through the grapevine that this fantastic few days evolved back in the time when hunting was a standard practice to feed one's family through the winter. You know, back before there was a Smiths on every corner.

I was hoping to sleep. Since I don't do this much during the week it is my first priority whenever I have a space of time to take liberties with. It was all going swimmingly, falling asleep to Pride & Prejudice (the full A&E version) at 9:15 seemed perfect. And then I was rudely awakened by some loud and deliberate knocking on my front door at 12:15 am. Seriously people, midnight.

So I did what any sane person would do - I hid, peeked through the peep hole, panicked, and just sat quietly. They knocked again. I say "they" intentionally. I heard two male voices discussing something about my house and not remembering it "this big." I've no idea what they were talking about and frankly am not too interested in finding out.

Needless to say, not much sleep was had last night. A lot of worry and keeping myself up. Even the cat seemed on edge. Perhaps she just took a lead from me.

But I did learn that I can comfortably doze holding onto two phones at once, that there are advantages to falling asleep on the couch, and that sometimes I just need to get kicked in the kiester to take care of business. Today I replaced my scratched up peep hole, got a new garage door clicker (didn't have one and was parking outside), pulled a trashcan load of weeds (mostly morning glory that was strangling a magnificent rose bush), and a host of indoor things to feel more in control.

Mostly I want the house to be visibly different from when the previous owners were here. That way the crazy knocks never return.

So I ask one favor, if you are ever going to show up at my house in the middle of the night, could you please phone first? It'll save me a ton of stress. Thanks a million.

Photobucket

0 comments: