Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I always swore I'd never be one of THOSE moms...



the ones who feed their family instant, preservative filled food
who pay good money for frozen sandwiches with no crust (and no whole wheat)
or ignore the dishes for days at a time

whose laundry is still laid out nicely waiting for hangers
and the bathrooms could use a little TLC

when the only thing that matters is "keeping a schedule"
instead of having some fun

or who take the easy road on most paths that are not critical to ones moral future



and then I started working...

now, i eat uncrustables for my own lunches (on the days unlike today where I remember to grab something), because i'm lucky to cook once a week and there are no leftovers nor time to make a real sandwich

the 4 hours of sleep i routinely get is feeling normal and beds no longer get made in the morning, or ever, during the week at least. heck, half the time beds don't get slept in, opting for the couch instead and the obnoxious oven timer-that-could-never-be-slept-through.

clothes are picked last minute, with little regard to weather or daily activity, determined solely by cleanliness and proximity to the top of the drawer

and we have to go, go, go, or I pay the consequences later



Life is busy. I really hope to be able to sleep again someday. Isn't that what Labor Day is for?? On a good note, I'm still alive and pressing forward. For this I'd like to personally thank the following sponsors of my new-found-life;

Smuckers; for keeping my daughter (and me) fed and functioning, with minimal effort
Pepsi Co: for the nearly intravenous supply of artificial energy which makes the 4 hours of sleep somehow feel adequate
Kashi: for granola bars that make me feel like I'm still taking care of myself, despite the myriad evidences to the contrary
Great Value: cheap, portable, kid friendly food - that also stashes well in desk drawers for days like today when grabbing a frozen sammy was too much effort to recall
T-mobile: for your unlimited text plan allowing me to interact with post-adolescent peeps on a very sporadic and unpredictable time frame
Sketchers: for shoes that don't go with slacks, shouldn't go with slacks, look weird with slacks, but are so comfortable that they will forevermore be worn with slacks
Teachers Domain.org: for making me look put together and prepped when my insides tell me otherwise
Real Simple Magazine: for your timely arrival, giving me 10 minutes of something non-high-school and making me feel like I have an identity still


And to the many others, who together allow me to manage my unhealthily balanced, almost functioning weeks. Thank you. Never before has portable, effortless, and cheap been so appealing.

Now excuse me, I have to be at work in 9 hours. I ought to figure out what I'm teaching.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Angela S said...

Remember to go easy on yourself. It would be an adjustment without kids. Find your moments to rest and rejuvenate and have fun. Good luck!

Katie said...

I frequently find myself doing things I said I'd never do- like turning on the tv at 630am so she can watch Hi-5 or Sesame Street, and I can sleep for an extra 30 mins. Don't worry! The other day when you left a comment from your other name, I checked out your website linked to it, and WOW! I was SO impressed. It looks like you're an amazing teacher and you should have all the confidence in the world :)

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember another Labor Day when I caught up on sleep as a main agenda, thanks largely to family who supported me (and didn't let me drive all the way to Moab, lol). Hope you have a great weekend! And don't worry -- knowing you, you are doing SO much better as a teacher than you give yourself credit for!! Love ya! And hey! Enjoy easy where it comes. =)