Yesterday the neighbor kids were throwing rocks at Aeryn.
It really hit the protective mommy button.
Afterward, one of the boys invited Aeryn over to play so I drove her over (even though the yard backs up to ours, it's a complicated curly street system to get there)
The girls started yelling at her that she couldn't come play.
Then when I picked her up she started telling me about the older girls being mean to her.
I still see her as my tiny little princess, who has no idea that unkindness exists in the world.
It really hit the protective mommy button.
Afterward, one of the boys invited Aeryn over to play so I drove her over (even though the yard backs up to ours, it's a complicated curly street system to get there)
The girls started yelling at her that she couldn't come play.
Then when I picked her up she started telling me about the older girls being mean to her.
I still see her as my tiny little princess, who has no idea that unkindness exists in the world.
I've been struggling for the last 12 hours trying to remind myself that this is a sort of normal part of growing up. Not everyone is going to like us and not everyone is going to treat us well. But as a mother I really REALLY don't like it.
I just want to wrap her in a big bear hug and protect her from all the ills of growing up. Finding friends whose older siblings will all like her too, and everyone will all play happy and nice all the time. Is that too much to ask?
{If it is, don't tell me.}



2 comments:
Oh my goodness! Rocks?? I have no idea what I would do about that as a mother. I would also be so shocked if I learned that my kids were acting like that towards anyone. How terrible. Go ahead and wrap her up in a big bear hug, she is such a sweet little girl. AP and I sure love her (AP is short for Austin Paul).
I hate to hear that story Michelle! I am so Mama Bear too. That is awful.
Hunter has had a difficult time transitioning into his new school, class and making new friends. He's come home upset saying that 'everyone thinks he's annoying'. I am so sad for him, and the Mama Bear in me wants to take him out of school and keep him at home in my arms!
Why do children have to be so mean sometimes?
I am sure that they will cope like we did. I can still tell you times when I was bullied growing up. They'll get through it, especially with us praying on their behalf every ten minutes! hehe :)
Post a Comment