Friday, July 24, 2009

Diggin' Deep for the Memories...

I'm jumping on another bandwagon: Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life. Back in the day, I wore Jim Hjelm #4910. It was so popular that only one store in the state of CO carried it and not one single photo exists out there in the blogosphere. Yes, I'm serious. The store was a bit north of me so I drove 2 hours each way for every fitting. Man, I loved that dress.



It was so gorgeous, silk with chiffon overlay, silver and pearl beaded trim that started as an empire waist and wrapped around to a point low on my bum. The buttons on the back were real, not that placket of forty-some odd buttons concealing a zipper. No ma'am, mine were the real McCoy. I've always disliked those plackets, but you know what? The real thing is a pain. Truly a pain.



For the veil I found one on clearance at the fancy schmancy store across the street from my office which was going out of business. In my hair I wore a vintage 18 karat white gold pin set with blue and white sapphires. I purchased the pin as "scrap" from my boss's mother and had the bench jeweler set it for me (not the same one who broke my diamond, but that's a story for another time). This was as bejeweled as I ever have been, or ever will be. The good ol' boss man let me borrow a $20,000 diamond riviera necklace and 1.50ctw studs. It's hard to even fathom now, I'm so removed from it all.



My shoes were silver slingback pumps which I wish with all my heart I never gave to Goodwill. They'd perfectly match the silver lace Holiday skirt I bought at Walmart a couple years ago(Laugh if you will, I get tons of compliments on it).

It really was a fun ensemble. Too bad it didn't work out. Next time (if it happens)I figure I can go very non-traditional. I'm really liking the mother of the bride dresses in neutral tones, much like this one from David's Bridal. Simple, sophisticated, but not overly "I'm a young June bride"-ish. And I'll probably make it. I mean really, it can't be that hard, can it?



Photobucket

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! Your dress was so beautiful and elegant. And you looked stunning! I can't believe you got to wear all that wonderful jewelry and a $20,0000 tiara - do you have a close up picture of it? :)

I hope you kept your dress. You kept it right?

Fabiola said...

I love your dress.... So elegant.

Fabiola

Anonymous said...

I remember how gorgeous you were, though you still are, even without the dress/diamonds ensemble. And you can tell how ignorant I am of jewelry . . . I couldn't tell the difference between cubic zirconia and diamonds!

Peterson Family said...

I wish I had paid that much attention to detail! :) You are a beautiful bride! I say go for another fancy-shmancy dress... you rock!!