I love ponytails. They are so convenient for running around and doing errands. They keep hair out of ones face on a windy day, and they take no time at all. However, they also have a tendency to look frumpy. Barely thrown together. Not showered.
In all reality, those are the times when the ponytail makes it's presence known. Only I can also add "desperately in need of a haircut" to the list of ponytail necessetators. It seems that those days are getting more and more frequent. Which means only one thing; time to get off my derriere and call Emily for a little snip snip. It's bugging me. I spent all day teaching in a ponytail, and I feel completely off kilter each time that happens. Something about that tightly bound bundle of hair makes my equilibrium disappear.
Which settle it. I actually hate ponytails.
Can you see the dilemma?
I'm in desperate need of a new do. Or a new dew, as caffeine was the only way I managed to survive teaching today, but I digress...
All my life I've wanted long, beautiful, one length hair. I cut it and though it looks cute, I yearn for it to grow just so once it does I can stick it back in that cursed ponytail and look more matronly than my years. I see pictures that make my heart melt. Usually these pics also involve thinner, completely straight hair. This is not me folks. The underside of my head is so curly it makes a poodle look tame (have I mentioned my tendency to exaggerate?). But it's only one half of my head, and the dead straight stringy stuff floating on top makes any appeal of the curls vanish completely.
So, I'm thinking of going short again. This causes me great stress for no apparent reason. Ok, there is a reason, though I'm embarrassed to admit it...
Argh! Am I so superficial as to decide something like hair style on the unknown opinion of people I have never met? Really. Worded like that it sounds ridiculous. And yet, there is that one silly idea that I may never meet or connect with a person because my hair is the wrong length. (This sounds like something that should be explored on WMGSS). It's lame. I never pretended it wasn't.
So, I present to you some ideas I've stumbled upon and ask for your feedback. You were so kind about my one-of-the-worst-hair-days-of-my-life picture that I've been consumed with this chopping idea ever since.
This may be a safe starting point. Not too different in length from where I'm at, but all the layers freak me out somewhat. Still, it's bound to be a million times better than now even at the worst.
Soooo cute. I however can't pull off those blunt edge bangs. Probably would work with my curls, but it'd bug me that I couldn't pull it back, even though that's what I'm trying to avoid.
Ok, I've sort of done this look, and I like it. At least I think I like it, until I try to round brush and flat iron it to look like this and I can't get the waves out.
This I adore, but do I have the courage to go scruffy? Oh, I wish I did. It seems more forgiving than some of the others. If I'm honest, this is by far my favorite and has been for years.
Again, a touch scruffy, but not too much. Those layers around the ears make my panic return though.
Sooooooooo, if you're still with me, what do you think? I like to think I'm an independent and competent post-Y2K woman but it seems I can't make a decision to save my life. I think I'm ready. To borow a famous slogan, it's Time for Change. I might even get a trim more often that every 10 months, but let's start small.



6 comments:
I like the Meg Ryan look! I totally think you can pull it off. If I looked good with short hair, that's the style I'd get.
Another one you like, style wise, is Rene Russo in the Thomas Crowne Affair. Google image search if you don't know what it is.
Hope you had a nice day!
I think boys think they like long hair.. but really i think that they like confidence.. and that is usually lacking if you hate your hair! me, I'm in the same boat..it's been almost a year since I've gotten it cut. I am in the ponytail rut. I have been thinking about bangs for a while but it's sounds too scary.
first... it is hair. if you hate it, it will change. if you love it, it will change.
second, this is a face to face conversation. see you tonight.
I am so tempted to tell you to go with #2 because it is such a cute cut and I have never seen you with hair that short. I know you could pull it off. That being said, with summer biking and vacationing just around the corner, I am personally missing the option of putting my hair in a ponytail and know just how annoying it can be. You may want to go with something a bit longer so you may pull it back when running, etc. but not so long that it is easy to pull it back often.
Liz and Nichole make great points. Hair does grow back, though never as quickly as we want it to!
Oh, and you must post pictures. I can't wait to see your new do.
I LOVE Meg Ryan hair too! I've worn my hair medium to short ever since I was twelve and can't stand it when it's long enough for a ponytail. Bobby pins or head bands do the trick when I want to work out or paint the house. And, being happily married to your cousin (who also thought he liked long hair) I have to say guys don't know what they want. I have tried to grow it out again since we have been married, but he is always as ready as I am to have it cut. Right now I am just waiting until our baby is born because if I go to short right now I'll just look fatter than I already do. Good luck and definitely post pics!
my dearest michelle, kudos for being so self-aware and honest! hair is a funny thing, isnt it? after all, its just dead cells hanging off our heads, and yet a huge part of our identity and self-image (and at times worth) revolve around it. Think of it like your clothing. what image do you want to portray? as for the "boys like long hair" thing, its only partially true. some men do prefer long hair. but some men also only prefer blondes. or brunettes, or athletic girls. or girls with a phd. that is their perogative, not yours! do you really want to be with someone that only finds you attractive if your hair is a certain length? whats next? will you also get up every morning earlier than he does so that you can put on your makeup before he sees you without it? i guess what im trying to say is that finding a cut and style whether it is long or short, that works for you is what is most important. if you feel and look good, it will show! and the confidence you carry does more for your attractiveness than the length of your hair.
that being said, i think you should cut your hair. maybe not as short as some of those pics just yet. ease into it. take a few inches off, maybe just above your shoulders. play around with the layers and have fun with your hair! you are so beautiful and i think its time to show you off!
call me!
*this was a message from the women's liberation from the silly things that we're tempted to believe about ourselves and our worth foundation.
Post a Comment