Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kid Tested, Mother Approved

We made the most amazing grilled chicken tonight. Wowee, this is my favorite marinade yet.


Disclaimer: This is not it... I didn't take a picture. Click for the link if you want that recipe

Micha's Favorite Super-Juicy Crispy-Skinned Amazing Chicken on the Barbie (Bahhhh-beee)or
Extra-Tastey Bok-Bok
1/2 cup fresh squeezed OJ (abt 2 oranges)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp peeled and finely grated ginger (about a 3 inch piece)
2 tsp caraway seeds
2 green onions, sliced
fresh ground pepper
kosher salt

Mix it all in a ziploc bag, toss in some chicken and let it bathe in the goodness for at least 2 hours (or a whole day if you're adventurous like me). I like the dark stuff, legs and thighs. Heat the grill to med high, stick the bird bits on there rotating frequently for about 10 minutes. After they are all seared and aromatic, lower the heat to about medium and cook (covered) for about another 15 minutes or until the juices run clear.

If you're anything like me you'll realize that they are undercooked in time to slap them in the microwave for a minute. Fortunately, they still taste good. If you're proficient enough in the man's culinary art to have them cooked through the first time around, your mouth will be singing high praises and your portion control will leave on vaycay.

What makes this soooo very delish, I'm convinced, is the Caraway.


When I was a kid we used to buy Monterey Jack with Caraway Seeds at Cub Foods on Austin Bluffs Parkway. Evidently, I was the only person on the planet who enjoyed this stuff and it has not been seen at any grocery in the Rocky Mountain States for a good twenty years now. I have found caraway havarti however, which I dare say might be slightly one up from my original love. A google search found it for me in .24 seconds however. Until I can find it without a shipping charge, I'll stick with the havarti or just throw the seeds into everything I cook. It seems a good compromise.

1 comments:

Peterson Family said...

That chicken sounds delish... and I enjoyed your comments below! I knew that was right up your alley, I always enjoy your insights into life. You always find yet another way to impress me!! :)