Thursday, June 19, 2008

Goal Accomplished

I've officially been done with summer classes for less than 48 hours. It's obvious that I'm ready for some non-scholastic endeavors though. So far, we spent 4 hours at the Strawberry Days carnival, two hours at a Primary party, done 6 loads of laundry, cleaned house, shopped, watched two movies, and I've finished this:



Last Thanksgiving I started a tree skirt for Christmas. I had no idea what I was looking for, probably something simple like a plain shiny sage or ivory material that would be PLAIN and elegant. Instead, I fell in love with this vintage-y toile burgundy print. A surprise really, as it's not my usual style and doesn't "go" with any of my other Holiday things. Doesn’t matter though, I love it. I worked on it diligently for 3 days before Thanksgiving in hope of having it ready for the 27th when the tree was going to go up. This was a little difficult as I had no pattern in mind when I bought it. Spontaneity helped, I still wanted it simple, and it all went smashingly until I accidentally cut one bit wrong. That was all the discouragement I could handle and the thing has sat untouched ever since. Until now.

Perhaps the completion of this isn’t a big deal. To me however, it feels huge. I’m not a quilter, not really a seamstress at all (contrary to my heritage), and every part of the binding process makes me want to curl into a ball go to sleep.

To me, this signals the beginning of a summer completing all those to-do’s that have sat ignored for months while textbooks and exams took precedence. I wonder what will be next.


Isn't the print endearing?

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I love toile too. I bought a black and white one in November last year to just make a simple throw for my couch for Halloween...I wonder where it is.

Laurie said...

love your tree skirt

nichole said...

beautiful! i need to learn to sew like that! teach me?

Anonymous said...

Nice work Michelle. I LOVE it and am so impressed.

Peterson Family said...

I LOOOOOOVVEEE Toile!! That is beautiful! Love it, nice job! you are going to be SO happy when Christmas comes along. :)

Laurie said...

Where are you? i'm missing your blog!lautriekstone