Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The most delectable buttercream on planet Earth

I admit it, I am not the biggest fan of buttercream icing. It's often heavy, too sugary, and still somewhat grainy. Oh sure, I've been known to down the stuff on graham crackers or sugar cookies with the best of 'um, but for cakes it hasn't been my favorite. Until today.

I tried a recipe from the Walt Disney resorts, altered it oh so slightly, and honestly wanted to forget entirely about the cake waiting patiently in my oven and just grab a spoon. As it was, distraction took it's toll and I did over bake the cake anyway. No matter. To remember Marie... let them eat cake (whoever them would be in this case), I'll just eat the frosting.



Butter Cream Frosting

1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp. corn syrup
3 egg whites
1 cup sweet butter (unsalted, always)
1 tsp vanilla extract (the better, the better)
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (optional)

Combine 2/3 cup sugar with water and corn syrup. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat and boil without stirring to 238 degrees F on a candy thermometer or until syrup forms a soft ball in cold water.

Beat egg whites until foamy, then slowly add remaining 1/3 cup sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Pour boiling syrup slowly into egg whites, beating until stiff. Cool.

Cream butter until soft and fluffy. Beat cooled meringue slowly into butter. Blend in vanilla. Makes about 3 cups frosting.

For chocolate icing (oooooooh yeahhhh!!!!) fold in 1.5 ounces melted and cooled unsweetened chocolate after the vanilla.

1 comments:

Mel said...

Sounds delicious, I am usually very anti frosting... I think I asked my mother for a birthday cake without frosting one year, she wouldn't make it like that for me.. so sad. But this frosting sounds very good! I think I'll just come over and have some! :) you may have to store it in your freezer for a few months..