Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Never did I think...

I'd have a day like this.




(I know the buckles are undone. It bugs me too. I would've redone the photo except that I am far too exhausted to concern myself with such things.)

The most expensive shoes I've ever owned. Any of you who have taken a ballroom class know exactly what I'm talking about. Those latin shoes sure are pretty sassy, but man, they aren't cheap. (And yes, they have the soft suede soles so you can slide and point and do all the neat dance-y stuff).

Just to set the record straight- I am NOT a dancer. Never have been, never will be. Doesn't stop me from dreaming though. It just looks like so much fun all the turns and spins and niftiness. Tonight we were all required to participate in a dance competition of sorts. All the dance classes were pinned against each other to see who could outshine the others. Seems weird to me that after only 4 weeks of pretending we can do something they would make us all compete against one another. But, I digress.

I soooo did not want to go. Aeryn and I were both at school from 9:30a.m. to 5:15p.m. and had to be back on campus for this dance thing by 7. With travel times that left us one whole hour at home. Besides, I took this class to have a fun release from my 'serious' classes and now that we have all sorts of out of class requirements I didn't realize before, the joy of it is being sequestered. Next week we have another competition to attend. After that it's a paper. Talk about the time invasion of the one credit class.

In class we were paired up by height. It was supposed to match us up with someone we'd be able to dance with well, but in my case I got the guy who never seems to care much. So, it didn't work out quite so well. We ran into another couple, totally befuddled the reverse turns (because turns evidently have their own consciousness which can be befuddled), and at one point my glasses were falling off. I don't know how, it just suddenly happened. So naturally my attention was not on my voltas or botofogos (I have NO clue how to spell those and a google search didn't help much, sorry). It was quite honestly a disaster. Huge. Gargantuan. Indescribable.

And yet, somehow still fun. Oddly enough, we were called back for the second round. My partner however was not even listening and as I had no clue where he'd disappeared to we did not further humiliate ourselves. Interesting experience, I'm just glad it's over.

Afterward I ran into an old beau. One whom I had been absolutely crazy for shortly after moving here a good 2 + a little years ago. Woah- was that shocking. He was still the same. Not a smidge of difference about him. But I just could not believe that I'd ever liked him. Talk about some rose colored glasses. What about you guys... did you ever date someone you adored at the time and then later just could not believe yourself? Share some love... let me know I'm not alone :)

2 comments:

Peterson Family said...

I love that you took a dance class... I often envision myself being a super sexy salsa dancer and then I am snapped back into reality when I trip walking into the grocery store... but GOSH it would be awesome, like Dancing with the Stars!! Whenever I watch that show I think, boy I should have started dance when I was 3 and WHO KNOWS where I would be now (probably just an un-coordinated!) ;) HA!

Oh, I still get embarrassed when I think about some of the guys I used to like... it's funny, the lessons learned... you're DEFINITELY not alone.

Anonymous said...

Love the shoes. Ask Anneliese, she'd know all about the whole Latin experience, lol. And amen to the whole rosy filter when looking at guys. I sent a guy off on a mission, and when he got back and he asked me out, I could hardly wait for the evening to end!! Good for a laugh now!