Monday, February 4, 2008

Motivate Me!!

So... I have a paper due tomorrow that I can't bring myself to write. It's about nothing other than motivating students where education is concerned. I know, ironic. The kicker is that I was quite motivated until about 25 pages into the second journal article on the subject. By that point I realized that all of the existing theories of motivation have valid points and each works with about 10 percent of a given class about 10 percent of the time. Nothing is conclusive or consistently effective. As soon as I formed that opinion I felt the paper to be pointless and leaving me with no argument to make. As a result, I'm suffering from "this is stupid" syndrome and behaving like a stubborn 12 year old on the matter.

I KNOW it's mandatory for the class and goes into my teaching PORTFOLIO so even if there is no real point to make the project has VALUE to my future and the accomplishment of a goal. Blah. Knowing that is still not helping.

3 comments:

Amanda/Mandy said...

Just get up off your b___ and get going. Does that work? I completely understand. Is it possible to have an eclectic approach so that you can motivate more than 10% of your class?

Angela S said...

What about writing about motivating students by learning what works for them. Treating them differently to help them succeed? I'm so not a teacher but that is logical in life.

Anonymous said...

Suck it up and BS like crazy. Voila. Education degree. I know that sounds horrible but it is, in large part, true. When you actually get teaching you'll learn the ropes just fine.