Ok, so I'm finally adapting. I'll tell you though, I feel so good today. It is unbelievable how nice it is to eat a real meal and get enough sleep. Seriously. It seems so logical and yet remains somehow so elusive. I'll have to try and apply those theories once little munch is home
Have you ever had one of those moments when you realized just how much you were voluntarily becoming something you absolutely swore you'd never be?
I have always loved nature. The smell of crisp mountain air, the peaceful rustle of a calm breeze blowing steadily amongst the trees, wild jackrabbits that run amok along dirt roads at dusk, even insects are fascinating in their natural habitats. It's a wonder I don't love biology considering my fascination with it all. Mostly I feel very close to the divine when I'm in nature.
But I've always been irritated by hobby geologists. I'd rather drink in the wonder of a whole scene than analyze the pebbles beneath my feet. The piles of rocks that gather in homes, and yards, and gradually fill every available space. It always feels dirty, cluttered, and in a sense does little justice to the real gems among the collection as they get lost in the middle of everything rather than individually showcased. I dislike clutter too much to deal with that (even though I deal with regular clutter on a daily basis. Ah, c'est la vie.).
This afternoon I went to the office of my Sed. Professor to review my last exam and jot down which things I need to review. Walking in his office was like stepping into an Indiana Jones movie. Except the historical artifacts were more along the lines of ichnofossils than Crosses, the music was more Def Leppard than John Williams, and the characteristic hat was more beanie than fedora. The Prof. does however warrant the eyeliner "love you" message circa Raiders of the Lost Ark, if one was so daring, I'm just saying... Oh, alright.
Certainly PhD does not imply hobbyist, but there were piles of rocks all over the place! I would have chuckled inside to myself except that at that very moment I remembered the pile which has taken residence on my closet floor. Then upon returning home I couldn't help but realize the other pile gathering on my window ledge. Both have been there for months now and have become such a fixture I don't even SEE them anymore! Isn't that awful? Well, reality has hit. The rock bug that I still swear will not affect me is creeping it's way slowly into my life. I mean really, my introduction to Geology was fine, finished gemstones. My idea of a collection is much smaller in physical size and locked in a safety deposit box. I suppose I ought to just embrace the inevitable.
Mica Schist from the Pequop Mts. Nevada. This was a class field trip. However, I didn't need any of these for anything. Unless you count the thought I had that I'm becoming a teacher and may want to start accumulating examples for my students. Hmm. Maybe they are practical to have after all.
Amphibolite Gneiss from my study of vein mineralogy in the Santaquin Complex, Santaquin Utah. See that darker one on the left(ish)? That vein is prehnite, which I had never heard of before this project and a compassionate Professor telling me what I was looking at. At least these I picked up for a real project. (Like how you can see all my pants hanging above them? Yeah, classy.)
On the gemology front, I'm officially done with the diamonds portion of the G.G. program. I've just started color, which is much more challenging. Instead of one mineral, it's like a billion now to be able to identify and grade. Wish me luck.
Aeryn comes home Saturday!! Wahoo! Can you tell I'm excited? It's funny how the world is just not complete when kids are gone. I have new sympathy for empty-nesters. I can't wait for bedtime squeezes, heart cut out PB&J's, and reading the book that will not die. Oh, beautiful snow, please stay away just long enough to get her home safely. Then we will all toast our cocoa joyously upon your return.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
A week of just me - Day 6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I love the story about the rock "collecting." I think we've all found that in our lives somehow. And glad you're feeling rested. Agh, I have much more trouble handling life when I'm tired. Oh, and that book looks great. You should totally read her the Skippy John Jones books, they are hilarious and fun. Leslie & Josh (cousins) read them to their oldest son and Ty loves them too. Have a great weekend and a save drive.
Post a Comment