About a year ago, almost exactly, I won "Favorite Chili" against a bunch of amazing guy chili connoisseurs at our church cook off, all for a recipe I had never made and didn't taste before submitting. Brave? Overconfident? Short on time? I think it was the latter. Some of the entries really were incredibly delicious. A week or so later as I was talking about it with my cousin, I found out she'd also won a chili contest for the EXACT same recipe, also having never made it before. Hmmm.... interesting. Tonight I decided to find out what it actually tastes like, since I didn't get to eat any of it last time.
The recipe was initially from Food Network, but I can't find it in their database any longer.
Black Bean Lime Chili
1 cup water
2/3 cup couscous
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 (14-oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 (15-oz) can black beans
1 (10-oz) can white meat chicken, or 2 cups cooked shredded chicken, skin discarded
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan and then pour in the couscous in one steady stream. Stir to prevent clumps. Turn off the heat, cover, and set aside for 15 minutes. Once liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.
In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add bell peppers and chili powder and cook for another minute.
Stir in tomatoes and black beans (yum!) and their liquid; bring all to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and heat through.
Stir in lime juice (I cheated. This I always have on hand, fresh limes, not so much) and cilantro and remove from heat.
Serve over fluffed couscous.
The dollop of sour cream was added for good measure because nothing with the word chili anywhere in it leaves my kitchen sans creaminess.
As you can probably tell, I used all green bell peppers instead of red and green, I also used only 1 tsp. of chili powder instead of 1 Tbsp. to make it a little more kid friendly, and I used a sweet red onion instead of vidalia because it's what I had on hand. It was alright, but there are a couple things I'll change next time. I'll use yellow and purple peppers (because I like the colors and the milder taste), add an extra garlic clove (because I can never get enough garlic), and probably reduce the lime juice to 1/3 cup as it was a little strong for my taste. I love the couscous served with it. It makes me feel like I've made something exotic :)
*And it passed the kid test!
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Black Bean Lime Chili
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
(It totally could just be my eyes, but the blue on brown is a little hard to read. Again it could totally be me and I actually love your colors otherwise right now!)
That chili looks to die for! I'd probably use all the chili powder since we love a little bit of heat and the idea of lime sounds so good right now! Great idea and good luck on the win!
How Pioneer Woman-esque of you. Looks pretty good.
That looks tasty! I wish I had your ambition. I love to cook but never seem to make the time for it. May I just come visit you and eat all of your wonderful creations?
Looks delicious! I will have to give it a go. Thanks so much for your comments on my blog. I have to ask because I am so inspired by them, but are you a single mom? If it is not to personal I would love to read a blog about that. I ADMIRE YOU!! Share the story if it is one you are willing to disclose. If I am way off from the context of your comment then I am so sorry. ;)Thanks again for stopping in- Kam
p.s. My offer still stands to take pictures. I would love to do a mommy daughter session when i in town- Kamee
Hi Michelle! I just found your blog. I can't believe how big Aeryn has gotten... time sure flies!
Post a Comment