Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Distraction project #1

I've got to keep myself busy or this weeks lack of company will drive me crazy. Today I finished project #1 on my keep-myself-busy-while-the-boy-is-away project list. What can I say? I sort of miss him. Technically I started this Saturday night. A little here, a little there, and it is finished.

The pantry has been a sad sight to behold. I mean, it really was nothing more than a glorified junk closet with a tiny bit of consumable product stashed somewhere.

So I offer: Exhibit A

The really depressing part of all this is the combination of highly valuable and completely not valuable belongings stashed hastily in one spot. Or the close proximity of cat food and cold cereal. As least I have a sure knowledge that eating cat food in one's childhood does not hamper one's mental development. True story.

After much deliberation (and basic algebraic calculations) I decided to just go the easy-peasy wire shelf route. Not my first choice, mind you, but it won out for nothing but ease. See, I want wooden shelves that fit the exact width of the pantry - but they have to be cut a little short or they wont be able to slip down into place (A^2+B^2=C^2). Since I hadn't come up with a solution and the chaos drove me mentally chaotic, I caved and went easy.


First time using my new drill! Ahhhh..... the joy of it still resonates within me.

In Process:

  

 All this stuff that has been painfully squished into one little cabinet (which would be much better utilized by baking supplies) can now be relocated. It's possible that I'll gain counter space in this endeavor. Wahoo!!
After a tad bit of planning and a few more hours work than was anticipated, we now have this:

Exhibit B: 
Isn't it a tremendous improvement? However, I've learned a few lessons.
  1. It is worth it to check the batteries in the stud finder.
  2. When in doubt, buy the extra package of mounting brackets so you can finish all the shelves at once (hence the predrilled spaces for shelf #5 at the top)
  3. The first shelf will be far easier than the others, if only to lull you into a false sense of competence.
  4. Wire isn't easier than wood after all.
  5. Tears may or may not be shed...
  6. When boys offer to do the job for you, say yes.
Photobucket

4 comments:

nichole said...

I totally agree with #6. BUT I think you putting up shelves is sexy!

Laurie said...

Your pantry looks great. You did a great job.
I've had good luck using plastic dishwashing tubs to hold itens on the floor. Our cereal goes in one also.It makes it easier to sweep and mop the floor.

Mel said...

Looks fantastic!

Kristi said...

I have serious pantry envy! My house doesn't have a pantry. Isn't that horrible? Who on Earth designed a house without a pantry? I'm glad you were able to keep yourself busy while he was away. :-)