Friday, February 11, 2011

Pretending to be a real mom for a day

It's just one of those things. The curse of the full-time working mom.

Other people get to be the ones present for the little daily moments and I often feel a longing. I suppose it's normal... I have to leave for work before she leaves for school. I get home after she does. If it weren't for kind neighbors who let her have a second residence at their home I'm not sure what I'd do.

Today however I don't have to go to work!

The bus stops right in front of our house. She and one of the other kids kept chasing each other. Now I know how she stays warm without gloves.

That's not entirely true. Normally, we have the same schedule since we're part of the same district. This day however is a big science teaching conference and I get to go. Last year, the conference was an hour away so it didn't affect life a great deal. I still had to leave at some obnoxiously early hour. Today? It's being held 10 minutes from my house and I don't have to be there until 8:45. I profited an hour and a half in this deal!!

With that hour and a half I've so far stalked her waiting for the bus, washed sheets, put away a load of laundry, and tidied up some stuff. Most significantly though was bus-wait-stalking.

Really bad quality, far away, grainy pictures, but they were taken stealthily and let me see her as a regular kid without an obvous helicopter mom.

I love that little bug... and today I got to feel like a real, involved mom. Stay at home moms, it's easy to forget what you have until you don't have it any more. Remember to find joy in the little things.

Post script: As I was typing this, the bacon grease I was heating to fry eggs reached smoke point. My entire house of interconnected smoke detectors were beeping and I frantically found the extension ladder to try and reach the silence button on my vaulted ceilings, just to have them finally shut off. Was it the door open to the snowy outside or did they just run their course and be done with it? Who knows. What I do know is that my morning of productivity was interrupted and has completely flown the coop.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right about taking for granted the little things. Thanks for the reminder. And I'll try to stop wishing I had gone ahead and gotten that teaching job down the street a couple years ago. =)

Valerie and Adam said...

Really making me want kids right now! :) Hopefully someday soon.

Katie said...

In many ways I am looking forward to to working when Spencer starts, but I am also dreading that day. I even have a hard time with her being in preschool 3 hours a day twice a week! I want to be the one teaching her all those things, even though I can clearly see that she is much more willing to learn when she's around other children instead of just me. But one of the best things about being a teacher and a parent is that you both have three months off together. I would love that!

Luckily, with my nursing program, you can choose by week to work three 12 hour days or five days from 7-3, so that's a little comforting, but not much. Hope you guys are doing well!