Wednesday, December 29, 2010

When the mood strikes

I'm not a huge fan of New Years resolutions. I've set some, arbitrarily, over the last few years but find that by their nature they are nearly always broken. It is just so hard to make a momentary decision that will last an entire year, or even be relevant an entire year. I find it's best (for me) to just make the changes when the mood strikes.

Which happened last week.

For the last 12 or so years, I've been what I refer to as an on-again-off-again runner. I get excited, start to get good, and then quit, just to get excited, start to get good, and then quit. It's a predictable cycle, and one that I'm really hoping to even out a little.

Since the mood struck I did two things. First, I went running. Second, I made a plan to keep myself running.

Seems logical, does it not? Last summer I had a goal to run a 10k and it didn't happen. I'm a little sick over that because I was so close - SO CLOSE. I've never run 6 miles in one stretch but I know that I can if I just stick with it.

Combining a few different running schedules I found online, this was established:



It's ambitious, which scares me a little. It's also quite doable. Running 3 days a week with cross training and rest days scattered between them. Fortunately, I've got a community clubhouse with a weight room and cardio equipment at my disposal for cross training or poor weather days. I simply typed the fantasy into Excel and stuck it up on the wall where I can easily mark off what gets finished. This weekend when the new year greets us, I'll say sayonara to resolutions and simply resolve to stick with this. Perhaps with it I can finally meet one of last years resolutions after all.

Photobucket

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I'm not as ambitious as you, though perhaps I should be to lose the baby fat. Again. Ugh. =)