Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What would you do with a million apples?

That seems to be the question of the day.





They are the most delightful apples. Fresh from my Grandma's tree and so very sweet. They make me understand why Red Delicious are called delicious, unlike so many of them from the store.


So far, we've made:
Apple Fruit Leather (attempt #1 was a big fat failure, #2 is promising)
Applesauce (using my Grandma's no-recipe recipe of absolute perfection)
Luscious Apple Rolls (tooooo sweet for my taste)
and Blueberry Apple Cake (the current favorite)

with Belgian Apple Waffles (sans SPICE and coming up on Saturday)

I've always wanted to try the Apple Waffle Cookies from the Pillsbury bake off cookbook, and it's great having a plethora of apples to feed the neighbor kids. But it seems they will never run out. Like Manna. Or something. Even though that picture makes it look like we've got, oh, twelve apples or something. We have more. Lots. More.

I am running out of ideas however. So really, if you had a million apples what would YOU do (if you met a jibboo)? I could use some ideas.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Angela S said...

I didn't know there was a recipe for fruit leather...we've just always used applesauce. We got 50lbs of apples last month and there are like 6 left. We dehydrated a little over half and the kids ate the rest. Next time I'll get more adventurous but I can always rehydrate them later! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Grandma always did have the best apples! Other than the tasty treats you have already had, I would make cider. And I would dry some. Also, I LOVE apples in oatmeal for breakfast. Recently I had Pumpkin pancakes with apple syrup. Just add canned pumpkin and spices to the pancakes and top with chunky apple syrup. It was delicious!

Liz Johnston said...

I saw these recipes yesterday. http://bakeitandloveit.blogspot.com/2010/11/charith-from-bridge-street-in-house_09.html give it a try!

April and Michael Maughan said...

you can also bottle apple pie filling
I would probably dehydrate a lot of them.