Bug-a-boo and I played games today. At first I picked out a world map puzzle and though we finished it, it was clear neither of us were really into it. So we made a transition to this kid friendly selection.
My vintage Sorry game.
I say "vintage" because items a decade younger than it are seen as being "old" or "classic" or "vintage" so I figure this one must be as well.
This game was a gift for my fourth birthday. My mother wanted to give me Candy Land but dad thought it was too young for me. Laugh if you will, now that I've seen how quickly kids grow out of Candy Land I agree that this was the wiser choice. I mean, I still have it 30 years later.
That birthday is one of my clearest early memories. We were living in Aiea, HI in the house on McGrew Loop. I loved that house. I loved the swing in the side yard, the plumeria tree out front and the palms in the back, where we could watch the natives climb with those cloth straps on their feet to pick the ripe coconuts before they plummeted to the ground of their own accord. I loved walking outside with my dad to see the toads that hopped through our yard and sitting in the big ugly brown chair with my mom as she made lei's.
The neighbors would come over and dump out my plastic swimming pool while I was getting my swimsuit on because they didn't want mosquitos breeding and this is where the neighbor kids (Adam & Candy) and I would collect snail shells beneath the bushes and eat dry cat food from the dish.
(It might explain some things)
Where the cochroaches woke me up crawling across my blanket,
and the geckos crawled on the ceilings,
and where I bit Candy's finger til it bled.
But on to happier things...
The morning of my birthday, mom & dad had me search for my gifts. I'm certain they imagined it would be a process but I found them right at eye level in the hall closet; the first place I looked.
This Sorry game and an orange Nerf ball.
Until I became a mom, it was still in perfect condition. Not even a marred spot on the box. Now, one corner is torn and you can see the paper peeling from the edge. It's looking a little yellowed (when seen in natural light instead of a flash) and has the old style board before Parker Bothers revamped things.
I've loved this game over the years and played it numerous times.
And to this day, not one single card is bent.
Do you think it'll make it another 30?





1 comments:
Oh how your memories take me back as well! Though I'll admit our "Sorry!" is of the Madagascar variety. (It was a gift.)
But wow! I forgot how much Hawaii was like Okinawa. Except we had hedges of hibiscus and poinsettias nearest our house, along with mini banana trees. And the ever present cockroaches/geckos. Not to mention the banyan trees (or whatever they were called)with the roots hanging down off their branches that we braided as we sat on the limbs. Kinda miss it all!
Post a Comment