Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Putting on the padding for winter

Monday night is family night.

We've been really good at this for the last 6 weeks or so, since I made up my mind to do it. And truly, it's getting easier.

This week the buglet picked what we should do.

Does this look familiar?

Photobucket


That's right, you just saw it yesterday too. The kiddo is really liking this game lately. What I want to draw your attention to however is the plate in the background. You know, the Ikea plate covered in sugar?

Photobucket

For the treat portion of our way-too-late-because-we-were-having-fun-on-a-school-night night, we made funnel cakes using none other that Alton Brown's recipe. Really, do you expect anything else from me???

Truth be told, I've never liked these. The last time I had one was at Elitch Gardens in Denver (right after they had opened in their new location but before they became a Six Flags park). I was with a few friends, one of whom was known for their ability to consume less than healthy food in record quantities and record time. I took one look at that plate and the way it was scarfed down and I think I was scarred for life. But when they are fresh from my kitchen, I know what is in them and how old the oil is, and I maintain the illusion of controlling portion sizes? Well, that's a different story.

These puppies were tasty.

Photobucket

So, the verdict is yes. Make these if you're needing some extra padding to protect you through hibernation this winter, or if you are craving a doughnut and have no Krispy Kreme nearby, or if you just feel the need to load yourself up on a tasty little something that you may regret later.

They're pretty delish.


Curious about Monday family nights? Learn more about it here.
Photobucket

0 comments: