This last weekend, on a long-overdue thrift store excursion, I discovered a great treasure. It was not what I was looking for, nor anything I would ever think I'd need, but I certainly do cherish it.
The complete "Etiquette" book by Emily Post, 1950 printing.
1950 is not really that old, it's the year my father was born. Nonetheless, 60 years is long enough to do serious damage to a book, and this one is in perfect condition.
I love to speculate about the previous owners. What was their life like? their socioeconomic status? Did they throw parties the way Emily suggests they ought to be, with engraved invitations, proper attire, and all too much silverware? Did they follow the social norms of the day as to male/female relationships? Did they find her to be refreshing or constricting?
Perhaps the signature fuels my intrigue. Clearly a gift, from a mother. Was this a last effort to breed gentile behavior into offspring? A general kindness? Filling the receiver's request? I'll never know.
I confess I can hardly put this book down. It is the same for everyone who has looked at it so far. The content is most intriguing. In some ways, I feel motivated toward more refined behavior as I read. In others, I snicker and think about how much society has changed.
Just like my thoughts as I read the following passage:
Young Woman to Man at Dinner
"When any young modern woman in her twenties finds herself next to any unknown man at a dinner party, she more likely than not merely talks to him without telling him her name. But if he introduces himself to her as "John Blank," she says "I'm Mary Smith" unless she has an old-fashined unwillingness to risk being called "Mary" by a stranger. In this case, she perhaps says in turn, "I'm one of the Smiths who live on X Street." She would be thought very "prissy" should she say, "I'm Miss Smith," unless she is at least approaching the mid-thirties."
"It is of course an unbreakable rule that all people who find themselves seated together at table must talk. To sit side by side without speaking is one of the greatest discourtasies a guest can show a hostess."
Which is in fact how I met this man the other day at this event. Clearly, he knows his etiquette for he did not let himself go unintroduced to anyone sitting at the same table. And you know? His wife is hilarious and he's pretty spunky. I think he's my new favorite and I'm really looking forward to hearing him speak this weekend. (Talks forthcoming)
All because a bunch of strangers were seated at a table.






3 comments:
And he definitely wasn't prissy or pretentious. I agree it was fun to meet him. Congrats on your new treasure.
For some reason I don't think Emily Post would be too terribly impressed with me!
You should read some of the old church pamphlets, especially a really old For the Strength of Youth. It specifically says a young woman should never been seen in public in curlers. Among other things. Steve has some of these treasures from his grandfather's stash. =)
Post a Comment