Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Opinnionairre: Moving with children

So, it doesn't take long upon knowing me and my crazy independent nature to realize the anxiousness I feel to move out of the 'ol basement (for which I won't lie - I'm extremely grateful for) and get on with this business of building my own life somewhere. All the steps are totally lined up to get a move on, but there is one thing holding me back.


I'm paranoid about disrupting Aeryn's comfortable, happy little life.

You know, moving isn't just a new address. It's a new school, new babysitter, new speech therapist, new friends, new everything - and I just worry about how that will affect her. But then, I did promise her a dog, and who knows, that just may cure all the other ills.

Have any of you moved with kids before or moved when you were kids? Am I making too big a deal out of this or is it really that traumatic? The kidlet is as social as I've ever seen and makes new friends faster than she can even introduce herself. I'm just getting anxious and I don't want that anxiousness to blind me.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Angela S said...

We've moved so many times it is crazy. Part of it is just jumping in and being brave. The other is talking to her and finding coping mechanisms. This will be a hard move and you're working like crazy so that is something to think about it. I'd say just focus on finding moments of peace. Making sure she doesn't feel lost.

Laurie said...

The hardest move was to Virginia and Liz felt it the most, at 10, one of the things we did was knock on neighbors doors and found out that there were 3 girls nearby that she'd be friends with; they were. Since you won't be moving a long ways you can still visit often at first then not so often as she makes friends at her new home.

Anonymous said...

I grew up expecting to move, but I think it's different when the kids aren't expecting a new address every couple years. Moving is always a bit of a pain for the adults, but I think it's much easier on the kids. You're right, friends and such change, but if Aeryn knows you're always there, the rest can be dealt with. When she brings up old friends and such, you might try having fun remembering them (or even visiting), and then listing all the good things about the new place/people. Marina and Jessie had a lot of questions and such when we moved up here, but they adjusted marvelously well, as well as the two other moves we've done in the last year and a half. =) The fact that you're a little worried about your daughter's reaction to moving seems to tell me that things will be just fine. Things have an incredibly, marvelously wonderful way of working out!

Peterson Family said...

We just moved (as you know)... and my kids don't even remember the last house we were in (except my parents). This transition has been wonderful and a little challenging in different ways. Truth is, I was REALLY worried about it all, and for Hunter it has taken a little extra time, but people in our ward, school, and his ST have been so loving and we are getting used to our new life. Weston had adjusted beautifully.

I think that anytime a childs routine gets changed it takes time to adjust. But that is life, which is always changing and moving around us. At least that's what I have told myself! :) I fully believe that Aeryn would get used to a new home, routine, ST, etc... in no time.

Change is good. It helps us grow. That is also what I tell myself, since I need to make all new friends in my new neighborhood and ward (as well as my family). :)

Go for it!

nichole said...

what a wonderful mom!

i would suggest (and this maybe not what you want to hear) that a moved be looked at an opportunity for your little one to grow up expand herself and become a little more independent.

now that she is in school she is learning the social skills she will need for the rest of her life... a move is simply another adventure leading to the next chapter in her life.

And an opportunity for you both to stretch... which as painful as it can be always ends up making us more flexible and able to handle other (non-controlled) adventures.

AND a am excited to help decorate.;)