It's only fitting that after a day void of words, I make up for it tenfold. Enter: Thoughtful Thursdays. This may last a week, a month, or a year, but this is where I'll drive you all bonkers with my incessant rambling. I think it's important that we all remember the good things that happen in our lives and spread the joy, especially in an economy when so many are struggling. This story came to mind at church this last Sunday (and was shared thanks to my friend C.O. {aka The Good Doctor's mom} nudging me until I caved) and has been on my mind ever since.
There was a time, not that long ago, when I was newly divorced and quite poor. Aeryn was not quite 2 and though things were tough, some miracles occurred and allowed us to be ok; self-sufficient even. Our home was bare but we had the necessities and I was so grateful for many blessings that enabled us to have a warm safe place to live despite our minimal income. As two years old approached, I started to contemplate the inevitable transition from crib to bed. It was an exciting time but filled my nerves too. Her dad didn't have a bed for her either so we agreed that she'd move into a bed at my house, and use the crib mattress on the floor at his house. I budgeted my paychecks 3 months out and found the leeway over that space of time to allow for an inexpensive mattress set. Her crib turned into a sleigh style headboard and footboard, so a mattress and rails was adequate and looked far more stylish than my function-over-fashion phase of life would have allowed.
The first night she slept there alone, I was -like most parents- worried all night long about what she would do, crawling out and getting into things. Such a dear, she stayed on her bed until I came to get her in the morning. While getting ready for work I heard her calling me softly from the bedroom “mommy?” and then once more “mommy??” Much to my surprise she felt compelled to stay on her bed until I came to get her, not realizing the liberty to leave of her own accord. Three days this happened. It still warms my heart as I think about that darling little voice and her patience.
It was wintertime however, and she didn't keep blankets on very well. It was easier in a crib, with walls all around to restrict the insulator's plunging to the floor. The stress began to mount. I only had one warm blanket for the two of us and I was scared of squishing her in our sleep. I began to evaluate the finances and try to budget for a blanket purchase. The only way we could survive was to avoid even a dollar of debt so that was not an option.
One cool night as we were watching some Disney movie or another, there was a knock at the door. The youth of our church were there with Christmas carols carrying through the evening air and a large purple lump in their arms. They presented us with the blanket and were gone.
It was a perfect fit for Aeryn's bed and the warmest blanket I've ever owned. In that moment tears of joy streamed down my face and I was overwhelmed with gratitude.
Later I learned the story of how the blanket came to be. A woman not too far from me (whom I still do not know) spent her year making these quilts. The fabrics are not coordinated and the assembly is imperfect, yet oh so perfect. At the end of the year, this woman gave the quilts to a friend of hers to distribute to those in need at her church. The maker of the quilts was not a member of the same faith, but was a woman desiring to use her time and talents to bless the lives of others. The friend, upon receiving the blankets, presented them to the youth who, with the assistance of the Bishop, decided upon the families they thought would benefit the most from such a gift. I was one of those families.
It's likely that I will never know who made it, but this blanket stands as a continual reminder that God hears and answers prayers – often through goodness in the hearts of others. People who use their time and means to unselfishly bless those who they come into contact with. I wonder if the maker ever wonders about her blankets and where they go, if they are truly appreciated, and if they make a difference. To whomever you are, and wherever you are, thank you, it made all the difference to me.






1 comments:
I love it!! You were and are blessed.
Post a Comment