My friend Katie is celebrating her 300th post (with a giveaway!). Katie is someone I have never met and yet truly cherish. I only know her through her blog.

In honor of this momentous occasion, she has appropriately written about how blogging has changed her life and challenged us, her faithful readers, to do the same. I had thought about this briefly, in a highly superficial way, and thought it was insignificant. Blogging hasn't affected me. Are you kidding? Pshaw. Then I realized the pains I feel if for some reason I have no internet access and cannot peruse my reader a half dozen times a day (slight exaggeration. maybe.). Or the nervousness I feel when I post something highly personal and no one acknowledges it. Or the times I post things knowing full well that some of my readers will completely dislike my words, but I post it anyway because I feel I must be honest with myself in what I write.
One of the many lessons early learned in the blogosphere is that, as with most things, you reap what you sow. The mood of ones own blog is reflected in the mood of those who read it. That is one of the truly miraculous things with this manner of communication. It has taken time, but I have sorted out which types of blogs I enjoy and which I do not, eliminating the ones that put a spark of negativity into my mindset. With my current reader list, this is what I experience:
Through blogging I am conquering difficult family relationships; building relationships where I have spent much of my life trying to avoid them.
Through blogging I am re-learning how fragile life is. I realize how quickly life as I know it can be gone and I hug my little one a little tighter.
Through blogging I am reminded that happy marriages are not only possible, but realistically attainable!
Through blogging I use really inconsistent and improper capitalization and punctuation.
Through blogging I am learning how to open myself up to others.
Through blogging I have learned the dichotomy between liberation and self-censure that comes with perceived anonymity.
Through blogging I have realized how much I love pictures when I read.
Through blogging I find validation in my own idiosyncrasies, acceptance from others whom I greatly admire, and a sense of belonging in a social world that is difficult to make time for as a single parent.
Through blogging I have gained greater willingness to be captured by a camera, which has thus led to greater self-acceptance and peace.
Through blogging I am spiritually uplifted.
Through blogging I have learned the joy of photographing the little moments of life that we often let pass by undocumented.
Through blogging I am more motivated to do something productive with my life, so that there is a story there to tell.Through blogging I see the little ways we are all connected, despite our seemingly significant differences.
Through blogging my creative juices are stirred by exposure to ideas I never would have thought up on my own.
Through blogging I waste a serious ton of time, and realize how great my need for time management help is.



2 comments:
I enjoyed this post... it's neat to start thinking of ways that blogging has been a positive influence on my life (which in so many ways it has been).
Also, I remember a previous post on handmade journals. Here is the link to my cousins company (Minelolly) on Etsy. You may like some of the cute journals she has for sale (as well as many other creative things). :)
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5610777
Just thought I would pass a good thing along. WOW, I am learning from blogs... YOURS!! ;)
I for one love to read your blog. I feel that I can vaguely share in your life and know distantly what a wonderful mom you are. That I can see without intruding what is important to you and can love little A too.
Post a Comment