I've been a long time believer that children need "ordinary tuesdays." Days without piano lessons, and dance practice, soccer, art club, gymnastics, junior cheerleaders of america, football camp, chess club, or any other combination of extracurriculars. Days to be home and {gasp!} be bored. Where creativity can be sparked by the necessity of creating ones own entertainment.
Some days this happens automatically, the temporary gap in an otherwise chaotic life, unplanned, unexpected, and delightful. Other times it must be chosen.
Today is one such day. It began unsuspecting enough, buglet ready for school, me ready for work, and we caught the school bus in the nick of time. Only then it started. Teaching, I stuttered over my words. I said "gradient" when what I meant was "relief," couldn't remember how to divide 400 by 5, and started grading assignments incorrectly. When my entire folder fell upside down upon the unsuspecting floor, it's contents scattered as windblown, I realized that like it or not, it was time to change.
In that spirit I proclaim: Children may need ordinary Tuesdays, but mothers need ordinary Thursdays, which mimic their precursors in every way but the boredom. Nothing planned, nothing committed, except of course the kidlets play time at a friend's house, and of course we can't cancel soccer practice tonight, and then there is a graduation ceremony at the same time as soccer and the party that follows it. Except for those things, of course.
So I came home, put on my workout clothes and a pilates video, and then made this. One sip and it was done, my day is anything but ordinary. And you know what? I'm totally ok with that. 

Thursday, May 21, 2009
Thursday on my mind
Posted by
Micha
at
4:02 PM
Labels: Endless Ramblings and Nothingness, Ordinary Thursdays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
I made this but mine turned out more like lemony raspberry juice. I used 2 cups of frozen raspberries;it was delicious but next time I'll use 1 cup. I wonder how blackberry lemonade tastes?
Post a Comment