Friday, May 8, 2009

Etsy Find Friday

When I was a kid, my favorite color was purple. For Easter somewhere around 1983 I picked out a purple ruffled prairie skirt and coordinating top from beside the rotating blue light indicating that moments specials. I was enamored with that outfit and wore it every chance I got.

Then, I learned that another girl, whom I didn't particularly care for, also loved purple. Since only one person at a time can have a certain favorite color unless you are eternal BFF's, I had to boycot the shade and search for a new love. In the heat of my environmentalist obsession years (read: 16) the obvious choice would have been green. In those days green was associated with healthy eating though and not the environmental movement. My dad's favorite color was green so it fell into the same caveat as purple. It was at this time when I discovered a new favorite. I remember it clearly. In the midst of a rainstorm while shopping for a mountain bike, it hit me like lightning.

My favorite color was clear.


Does clear count as a color? I don't know. To me, clear was the color of rain and without water there could be no life. Hence clear was the color of life.

Yeah.

I did mention I was 16, right?


My mother loved blue. My dad leans towards it for most things. I grew up with blue cars, blue furniture, blue curtains, towels, carpet, dishes (both formal and otherwise), socks, hair bows, and yes, even skivvy's. Now, I don't mind blue, but it was a little bit of an overkill. Especially since they were all different shades and didn't necessarily coordinate.

I've intentionally avoided blue for years. I'm certain this contributes to the ridiculous exuberance I continually display over N's beautiful turquoise wall. It shocks me everytime I see it. It's blue... and I .... I.... I like it???? Woah.

This week I caved. Wouldn't you too if you found this?


I've wanted a cake plate for years. This one is perfect for the 6 inch cakes I like to make. I figure that graduation/new job/upcoming 30-something birthday/Mother's Day/supporting independent artists in this weak economy/just because justified the purchase. It's made by Whitney Smith, go check out her shop and share the love.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Michelle @ Twig said...

I absolutely love that! I would have broke down and got it too!

Katie said...

I LOVE it! That's a fantastic cake plate, and you deserve it! Happy Mother's Day!