Thursday, November 20, 2008

200! (and a giveaway)

I have made it to my 200th post! I know, that's nothing at all compared to all you amazing blogger-people who's blogs are younger, but much better kept, than my own. For me this seems to be a big deal.




So I thought I'd celebrate with a giveaway. What 'cha think?





I'm giving away one of my upcycled magazine bowls. This one in fact:


Photobucket


(please forgive the blur - I'm still getting used to adjusting focal length)

In the interest of full disclosure, it's probably only minimally comprised of magazines. I used all manner of post-consumer papers but incorporated more color in here than my first one and you know what??? I really dig it. Seriously, I've done about a half dozen of these things now and this one is up there with the first one (which holds a dear place in the crafty-love segment of my heart). Also, it is made of paper and adhesive. As such, bowl is a general term and not a suggestion to load it up with some mini wheats and rice dream, though you probably already guessed that.



To enter: leave a comment telling me the most creative upcycling thing you've ever seen done, whether by you or someone else. Share the love.


Oh, and make sure I have a way to get in touch with you.
Winner will be chosen at random on Tuesday November 25th 10:00pm Mountain Time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the bowl and love the fact that you intend to give it away, hopefully to me!

Now I must admit I always struggle with questions that contain words such as "ever". There is so much finality in that word. I have seen a lot of super cool upcycling and hesitate to pick just one. Plus the mere thought of attempting to do so has the tendency to leave my mind blank. So here are two I have enjoyed as of late.

At the Farmer's Market this year a purchased a purse that was hand-sewn using all recycled fabric. It may not be the most creative idea, but I love it and use it at least once a week. You may view and purchase similar items from the same artist here: www.sparroworiginals.etsy.com

I also have a friend who is a glass artist and makes items such as tables, coaster, serving trays, and unbelievably gorgeous wall hangings from recycled glass. She has friends who are jewelry artists who then take her "mistakes" and broken items and fashion them into pendants, earings, etc. Now that is a lot of upcycling!

Peterson Family said...

I am in! That bowl is super cute and I LOVE that it's upcycled! (I also love your new word for recycled, it sounds so much better).

Hmmm, I am not sure if anything I have counts as upcycled, BUT that being said, I re-use/re-purpose everything I possibly can, and try to live by my Dad's motto 'fix it up, make it work, or do without'.

OOOhhh, I JUST remembered a BIG one... a couple years ago Mark and I were on a walk with the kiddo's and noticed a table out in front of someone's house being donated to charity. I knocked and asked if we could take it, she said yes, so we ran back grabbed the van and took that baby home. We re-stained the top dark cherry wood and painted the base white. So there you have it!! Our perfectly upcycled table (does that count?). :)

Laurie said...

I really think my Texas Flag quilt should qualify since I used scraps of fabric. Admittedly lots of quilts are made nowadays with fabric purchased just to make into quilts; so I managed to use the scraps from my scrap buying for making quilts... does that make since. I just finished Austin's quilt- same idea. I'm working on an exchange item that is all scraps.

Amanda/Mandy said...

Pine cones -- these are my families favorite thing to up-cycle with. We make Christmas ornaments, wreaths, swags, huge candle table decorations and about anything Christmas you can imagine decorated with pine cones. Sleighs, mailboxes, stockings, brass horns, anything remotely Christmas we have probably done it. My favorite?? Kissing cones -- there are two varieties of these -- one is a small Sugar pine cone or a large Ponderosoa Pine cone decorated on top, mistletoe on the bottom and hung from a crafty spot. The other is a large Digger pine cone spray painted gold or just finished with a glossy coat with candy kisses in all the spaces between the petals (yum).

Angela S said...

We used a 45 yr old fence to build the first story of a club house attached to a jungle gym in our back yard. It was killer. I've tried all day to think of other things and I'm really drawing a blank.

I do think the use of grocery bags to make thick plastic with an iron and then being able to sew with it is pretty awesome!

Alexandra said...

Oh, Lovely Bowl, whilst thou be mine? I promise to love, honor, and cherish you all the days of my life. I promise to sit you in love places all around my house, rotating you weekly so you never get bored. I promise to surround you with items that showcase your loveliness... Ok, I am getting a bit carried away and perhaps creepy, but I do LOVE this bowl.

My favorite upcycle: glass wine bottle coat racks as seen at http://store.goodcommonsense.net/shadescoatrack.html

Favorite Personal Upcycle: Making Bags and Pillows out of clothing I have outgrown/broken zippers on/been inspired by. My favorite is the pillow I made out of my black and white polkadot dress and trimmed around the edge with the pettycoat tulle material.

If I am the lucky winner you may contact me at http://brainyandbeatiful.blogspot.com or piano615@gmail.com

Alexandra said...

Oh, and congrats on 200!

Anonymous said...

Those are so great! How do you make them? I have just recently discovered your blog, while recovering from torn disc. I really do enjoy it. Congratulations, Robin

Micha said...

Thanks for stopping by Robin,
Sorry about your torn disk, that has got to be miserable.

The short answer is that I used the idea as described here http://alittlehut.blogspot.com/2007/09/recycle-project-no-7-magazine-bowl.html but I use a ton of different papers, then cut and fold them to slightly varied widths.

Then when I wrap and glue the strips, it creates a nifty stepped pattern on the underside of the bowl that I especially love. Try it out! You just may get as addicted to this as I am :)