Monday, May 26, 2008

Wiggly worms

A couple years ago my cousin let her girls stick a bunch of worms and dirt in a pie plate, kept it in the kitchen, and let them play with them whenever they wanted. I'm certainly not one to think my daughter should never get dirty(on the contrary, I think it's not childhood if you don't get to cover yourself in mud now and again), and yet this approach to dirt and bugs was a little beyond my comfort zone.

Today, Aeryn ran into the kitchen screaming "Mommy!" in a manner that made me fear she was in mortal peril, just for me to look up and see her excitedly carrying an entire handful of little red worms. I can't remember the last time she's been so excited. So, what did I do? I donated some Tupperware to the cause, of course. I did however have her leave them outside. Play with the bugs, by all means, but keep them in their own habitat (there's no lid so they can escape if the mood strikes).



She started adding leaves and twigs to create "furniture" for them. Those little worms ended up with quite a mansion by the end of the day.

1 comments:

Peterson Family said...

That is a fantastic idea!! My boys would flip out, seriously. The next time we find a potato bug or worm, we are so making a home for them...