I love nearly all things sesame, as well as nearly all things Mediterranean (culinarily speaking), so it was only a matter of time before tahini paste made it's way into my life and the search for the perfect hummus began.
Admittedly, I'm a tad disappointed with attempt #1. I tried this recipe, which met my first criteria of using roasted garlic. It just isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'm thinking more along the lines of a roasted garlic, rosemary, olive oil type flavor; to mimic one I'm obsessed with from the grocery store. Do any of you have a good recipe to share? I'd love to try your suggestions!
(or any tips for growing herbs indoors... I really love using them but don't love the $4 per herb price in the produce aisle)
Friday, April 11, 2008
Humma, Humma, Hummus
Posted by
Micha
at
6:47 PM
Labels: Cooking, Plea for Help
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I make it occassionally but since I'd never had it before I made it I'm fine with no tahini (it's fat. I drain a can of chick peas, saving the liquid. Put the peas into the food processor, sqeeze half of a lemon process it with a couple cloves of garlic and add enough of the liquid to make it come together. I've always used raw garlic and sometimes add a bit of olive oil.
Tasty. I love hummus. Julie makes great hummus, but she uses raw garlic rather than roasted. I bet she would give you the recipe if you asked and if she can find it!
Also, I have managed to keep some mint alive in my house all through the cold Logan winter, and I kill most plants so this was an accomplishment even though mint is supposedly quite hardy. I have kept it behind my kitchen sink, close to the window but not on the window ledge. A lot of herbs will die if you put them on the actual window ledge. My friend learned that one the hard way. Also, if you get any bugs on the herbs you can spray them with antibacterial dish soap mixed with water. My mom gave me that handy bit of advice and it works.
Post a Comment