Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Gimme a W-H-I-T-E... what does that spell?

Does anyone else worry about making life FUN for their kids? Sometimes I get in this mode where I just don't think there is enough laughter in our lives. Like we should all be happily skipping and giggling along through each day. Smiling so much it's permanently planted on our faces. That's where I'm jealous of yellows.

Me? I'm a blue/white straight down the middle. What does that mean? I don't know that I really get it either but from what I've read so far it means I worry, a lot, and I just want to make everyone else happy. There's more of course, but that's the part that I currently feel a desire to escape from.

I have a yellow friend who is the embodiment of what I wish I were. To let go of all the stress and the energy it takes to make sure life is properly handled for everyone I care about and just think about playing and being silly is my greatest fantasy. Oh, to spend my time at concerts, or camping every weekend, or at the lake, bbq'ing, laughing at stupid comedy movies, etc. I do these things, but they don't come completely automatic. I have to think it out, and plan, and be sure that there isn't something else I'd rather do that conflicts with it, and so on.

Does this mean I'm a boring parent? I want to give my daughter a life filled with experiences. People. Places. Memories. I want her to grow up happily remembering her childhood. I know I worry more than most people, but is this a common concern for parents, or is this just filling my mind because I have WaY ToOooo much time on my hands right now?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I heard from a friend that the guy that developed the color coding business also wrote a book about 'the code' and in the book he said to develope other 'colors' so that you are a better rounded person. I tried to get hold of the book but couldn't and now have no title or author. He included ways to develope the other colors.

Peterson Family said...

I think that we all feel that way at times. I am a yellow/white who married a red. :) So we try to find middle ground most of the time. :) As long as spontaneity ends up being somewhat planned out in advance, then we are all good! HA HA!

Being a parent is one big guilt trip... there are never enough hours in the day to do ALL that we feel we need too. i.e. read, bake, hug, smile, laugh, play, teach, travel, play dates, family time, etc. etc. etc. As a Mom if I fight the idea that if I didn't do ALL these things and MORE, EVERY HOUR of every DAY, to their FULLEST, I feel in some small way that I have failed.

Truthfully though, I think that as long as we are setting goals, and trying to accomplish as many of them as we possibly can each day, then we are doing our part and WAY more.

Our kids will be blessed simply because we are trying to be involved. They won't tally up all that we did NOT do, but all that we DO do. If they know that they are loved and cared for, then what more can we do?!

Good comments Michelle.