Back in 2001 I took an ethics class at Mesa Community college. The professor LOVED to make us uncomfortable and get out of our comfort zones. She had a masters in Logic and could shoot down pretty much any argument that came her way. One of the most uncomfortable days was the carnivorous diet vs. vegetarianism debate.
I sited Omega 3's as a good reason why fish should be part of our diet and she sharply replied that she takes flax seed instead with an implied "is that all you've got?" I still don't know how to completely argue why I eat meat.
The baking thing gets away from me sometimes and I realized that I need to at least AtTemPt to be healthier. SO, imagine my joy when I saw this on the shelf at the grocery store. For around $1.50, I keep this in the fridge and add a tablespoonful here and there to whatever is going to be entering my oven. So far I've used it to substitute for both eggs and butter, and it's been ok. My favorite so far was the pizza crust. I don't know if we're getting enough omega 3's to make a difference, but it's a fun experiment.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Applied Ethics
Posted by
Micha
at
3:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Wait you used it instead of butter and or eggs? Like you would applesauce? Thats awesome! I never knew you could do that.
It's on the box that you can... 3 TBSP flax in place of 1 TBSP fat or oil; 1 TBSP flax + 3 TBSP water in place of 1 egg. It's not perfect, but it works out for most things ok.
cool michelle! I do that too. But I guess I don't do it very faithfully, I've been using the same box for over 2 years. Usually I substitute it for a small portion of the flour, and maybe a small portion of the oil. But not all of it.. I didn't like it as a 100% oil substitute.
Post a Comment