Sunday, September 9, 2007

1600 lbs. of feta

Ohmygoodness, last night was so much fun! Never mind that I abandoned my "children thrive on routine" and "consistent bedtimes are critical for a happy household" attitudes and kept my 4 yr. old up til 11:30. We had a blast!!

A few friends and I went to the Salt Lake Greek Festival and it was really something! I have this near obsession with Greek food (thanks to a really really great French feta I had one night when a dear friend made her Mediterranean chicken- which is now my ABSOLUTE favorite meal of all time) and love Love LOVE anything from the local Greek place just up the road. The whole festival felt straight out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding- complete with the big hair and overly made up ladies, exposed bra straps, and frilly shirts.

The food line meandered around the eating area and passed the food preparation area so we could see "behind the scenes" as we were waiting. It's a pretty impressive system they have down. There was one guy whose entire job was to walk from area to area and make sure the plethora of cooks all had drinks and regular breaks. Along one wall were three times more industrial size crock pots than at an LDS potluck, and chairs filled with elderly ladies who sat and enjoyed the popularity of their timeless family recipes.

Aeryn got to ride her first *real* carnival ride, danced non-stop, and was so excited she didn't even fall asleep in the car on the ride home. I forgot the camera, so we have no tangible evidence of the experience other than the mostly faded/washed off stamps on our right hands. I can hardly wait for next years festival.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I have 1,600 lbs of feta? PLEASE? I am so happy to have found someone that loves olives and cheese as much as I do. We must be related, and I must go to the Greek Festival next year.