It's been chilly today. Rainy, gray, and decidedly fall. I love it actually. At least, I love it viewed from the comfort of my own home whilst wearing flannel pants and a cozy sweatshirt.
Decidedly fall days need decidedly fall treats.
Like this:
Don't you agree?
This recipe is by far my favorite. I've tried others which are similar, but it's the butter that really makes this one special. Caramel without butter? I think not!
Actually my favorite part of this is that there is a much lower caramel:popcorn ratio. It's sweet and tasty, but doesn't make you feel like you need fifteen hours on the eliptical machine to make up for snacking a little.
Caramel Popcorn
8 cups popped popcorn
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (preferably dark brown)
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (real stuff baby!)
Place popped corn into a large mixing bowl. Did I say large? You'll want it large. Combine the sugars, corn syrup, water, vinegar, and salt into a saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring constantly until it reaches 260 on a candy thermometer.
Reduce heat to low, stir in butter until melted. Pour syrup in thin stream over popped corn in bowl and stir until well coated. Cool slightly.
For popcorn balls: If you follow the recipe as is, you'll be fine. If you plan to use two bags of microwave popcorn like I do (which yields more like 12 cups popped corn) you may actually want to decrease the amount of popcorn used a little so they'll be better coated. Then butter hands and shape into 3 inch balls. Place onto waxed or parchment paper to cool.
For regular ol' caramel corn: Spread coated corn onto buttered cookie sheet. Let cool and then break into pieces.
In case you're wondering, kids approve.






0 comments:
Post a Comment