This week has been Spring Break for us. While I had glamorous ideas of getting outside and enjoying a little hike, we were dealt some chilly weather as soon as my early week commitments cleared, which was accompanied by some less-than-ideal health for both the munchkin and I. SO, I've been closely attached to my dear google reader (many thanks to those of you who've been posting regularly).
Monday and Tuesday I watched my Bishop's kids. His home is beautiful. Honestly, his wife is the type of woman I can aspire to become at the same time as being completely human, flawed, and fabulous. She happens to be blessed with imperfections that are endearing and motivating rather than the opposite. Rarely have I seen a home so completely beautiful and family friendly. I came home to my uncoordinated and overcluttered abode with a firm vow to start afresh. This post is especially timely. I've taken the challenge myself, without actually reading the book, or actually going for 50 things. My goal is 20. If I can get to that point, then I'll re-evaluate. It took me 5 minutes to get the first 5 things. Anyone want a bottle of decorative chili oil or a Bill Nye paper making kit that doesn't really work that great?
I happen to be the product of two proclaimed (by me) packrats. Clutter is a battle I have continually fought and continually aim to conquer. How about you? Are you a minimalist, a collector, a somewhere-in-the-middle-er? What tips do you have for beating the accumulative materialistic nature that so easily besets us? I am determined to beat this. I think.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Breaking up is hard to do...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
COLLECTOR! I still have all my note books from high school and college. I have so much that I just can't part with, but I do try to weed out a least once a year. Today, I took2 garbage bags full clothes to the Goodwill, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself :)
I used to be more of an organized packrat but being responsible for not just my stuff but three other people's has changed that. Now I'm all over getting rid of as much as possible.
I used to save things till I had to pack them myself. When I left home and the Army no longer packed for my moves, it's amazing how much stuff I didn't need anymore. Even my husband is amazed that he keeps more momentoes and such than I do! And now with the constant picking up after (or getting them to pick up) seven kids, minimalist all the way!! I like an open, inviting room with personality, but not a lot of extras.
Post a Comment