Thursday, April 24, 2008

Blabber

I love the environment. And not just in a post-Al Gore-jump-on-the-trendy-bandwagon kind of way. Even if I do love Al Gore.

I've been concerned with recycling and responsible life management for as long as I can remember. In the 80's my room was covered in conservation posters from the World Wildlife Federation. In 1992 my friends and I, with little support from the school, implemented (and single handedly maintained) a major waste paper recycling program in our high school. My first apartment in 1994 was filled with phosphate free cleaners of every imaginable type packaged in recycled containers. Yup, even recycled fiber TP. I hate throwing things away (much to the chagrin of my determination to NOT be a pat-rack). Over the years, my exact definition of being environmentally responsible has varied as my education and understanding levels have changed, as is reasonable to expect.

The last thing I ever expected was for someone to be surprised that I'm concerned about global warming. It's almost like having someone not know that I'm a Christian, or a mother. Something so completely part of me that I believe it ought to be obvious. And yet, it wasn't.

Why is that, I wonder? I remember in the zeal of youth touting my opinions blatantly and being shot down completely by those older and wiser (read: more educated) than myself when my logic was skewed or incomplete. Or times when I so anxiously shared what I thought and felt that I came off aggressive and offensive. As the years pass I get both more certain what I think and more reserved in how I express it. And yet, I wonder if I do this to too great an extent.

Am I doing a disservice to my position (and the world, as it may be) by not being more open? Is there a responsibility that goes along with becoming a geoscience educator that extends beyond the confines of my classroom to my friends and family as well?

I don't want to be telling other people how to live, or think, or feel. I guess I just want to understand how something that is so much a part of me isn't seen by those who are around me most. As though it isn't there. I feel it is our responsibility to be good stewards of this Earth. We've been entrusted with this grand and wonderful place created for our benefit, but not with freedom to be careless and irresponsible in our management of it. The knowledge we have gained, and are still acquiring, gives us the opportunity to manage well what is at our disposal. We just have to do it. And it starts with each of us. Individuals.

Ok. I'm done. I suppose more than anything a little conversation today made me somewhat sad.

It was really cool btw to have finals on Earth Day. I was able to present a lecture to my Earth Systems class on global warming which increased my depth of understanding and brought the proper spirit to the day. Granted, it did also further the fear factor as well, but c'est la vie. The risks are reality.

Check out my dear sweet Harrison offering (yet again) his support for our good friends over at Conservation International. This is a phenomenal organization.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Michelle. You are too awesome. I loved this post. If it makes you feel any better most people put me in a "Liberal" box and make drastic assumptions based on that description. It does not help that I live in Logan, Utah. I know that if I moved elsewhere people would find me quite conservative. Yes, I drive a Subaru Outback with a Darwin fish on it. Yes, I am active in Cache Democrats. Yes, I drink lattes and Fair Trade Certified coffee. Yes, I like to buy organic food when possible. But I also have a nasty habit of buying impractical shoes that I only wear a few times and I drive hours on "red air days" because I am addicted to skiing. Why can't people just be seen as who they are rather than a label?

Okay, I am off of my soap box now. We should get together sometime and discuss household cleaners.

Amanda/Mandy said...

Michelle do we need to take a visit to Jackson Hole? (To try to stalk--I mean visit--your dear Harrison)?

I think that your conservation efforts which are outwardly visible but not demeaning of people who don't have your level of commitment are great!

Peterson Family said...

That is interesting that you are an Al Gore fan!! I had NO idea!! I will try not to judge you too harshly from here on out... JUST KIDDING!

I think that as human beings we have these deeply rooted feelings/oppositions/opinions on certain important subjects; eventhough many a time we are un-educated on the subject and can't quite put our fingers on just why we feel the way we do. Take for example the person who was baptized catholic (or any religion), has NOT attended Mass in over 20 years, yet will defend their 'beliefs' into the ground, or the person who's ready to bash the crap out of 'tree huggers' based on stereotipic views/beliefs passed down from ignorant people, media or even there own family.

I think it's wonderful to have something you are passionate about!Forget the people who might judge you. Open your mouth sister and educate all of us out there who may not know/realize just how negetively we are impacting the earth, our lives, and more importantly our health.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I never knew. I DO know however, that you love Precious Moments figurines ;)
Funny the things we think we know about people that turn out to be faulty, and the things they truly hold dear to their heart that we never know.
Hm.