I love this season. I love the warmth of the fireplace, the cozy softness of fleece, the tasty treats I am always making, and the happiness that is exuded from pretty much everyone. And of course, I love to see the joy on Aeryn's face at every little magical thing.
This is the first year I've really felt like spoiling her. It's always fun, but the past couple years have had me thinking *practically* about what gifts I give her. It's a delicate balance between how much I can tolerate spending, where it's all going to fit in our limited space, and what will make her smile. Usually her dad and his family spoil her mercilessly so I do enough to make it fun, but not enough to feel like I'm creating a materialistic over-lavished little person.
Everything this year has been different. I think it's something about knowing it's the last non-school age year we have. Or she has different interests. Or I continually grow younger as this parenting thing goes on. I'm not quite sure. All I know is that I cannot wait for Tuesday morning. More than ever, I want to see her face and feel of her excitement on Christmas morning.
I've had no expectations for myself. It just doesn't matter. But today, I received a treasure.
Sitting at the table, Aeryn was drawing a phenomenal picture. The most detailed one to date. As she excitedly showed me each addition to the drawing, I couldn't help but smile and feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for being her mom. I love being a mother. More than words can say. And that is when it happened. Her little hands grabbed my head as she kissed my cheek, smiled, and said "I love you mommy" and then walked back away to add another element to her page.
Surely no parent needs me to explain how that felt. I almost cried on the spot. Instantly, everything faded away. The glowing tree, the music playing, the dishes I hadn't gotten into the dishwasher. All vanished and I felt love emanating from my life in a manner I have very infrequently felt. 3 seconds and the entire world stood on end. I realized, THIS is what it is all about. Christmas is not the candy, the neighbor gifts, decorations, apparel, or parties. Christmas is about love. The gifts under the tree are so insignificant, for we have the greatest of all gifts in our hearts. I am truly wealthy beyond comprehension, for to one little angel I am the most important person in her world.
Thursday, December 20, 2007
I got my Christmas present early...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Ok. Seriously, I am crying! Michelle, that was such a beautiful post. I loved your writing and your sentiment was so relatable and strong! Thanks for reminding me too of the love!;)
p.s. in my previous comment i said something about princesses, plural. I thought you had two little girls. So sorry- Kam
Thanks again for the beautiful thoughts-
What did you study in school? English? Writing? ;)
Post a Comment