Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Meme

I'm stealing this from Angela, who stole it from Sincerely Anna, because I think it's nifty.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Every year I dream of creating these glorious, magnificent packages that look straight out of a Nordstrom's display. It hasn't happened yet as I am such a bargain hunter that I can't quite justify spending as much (or more) time and money on the wrapping as the gift. I've finally upgraded to wired ribbon I buy at a minimum of 50% off and store year round. Although, I have a stash of gift bags on hand for the times (like now) I find I'm completely out of boxes adequate to accomodate weird shaped things.

2. REAL OR FAKE TREE? I hear a lot of people say fake for the convenience factor, but I have to say fake for partly the environmental factor, not that I'm a total granola. I just can't understand killing a bunch of trees for nothing but seasonal decoration. Seems ecologically short sided. Besides, have you ever had to clean up one that dried out and shed every single needle inside the house? Really, not worth it. Not at all.

3. When do you put up the tree? The day after Thanksgiving. This year I almost cracked and did it Tuesday before Thanksgiving because I was so very happy to not have classes that week and really wanted to celebrate. I managed to wait however. Barely.

4. When do you take the tree down? I start to feel weird if it isn't down by the new year. Although the year Aeryn was born it was up until my parents came to meet her and they decided it was long since overdue for removal. Come on, it was only the middle of January and it was absolutely phenomenal; the most chic non-child-friendly tree I have had(or probably ever will have). One friend in Colorado left hers up in the living room all year and decorated for other holidays. I'll never forget the kids' Easter baskets dangling from the limbs.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? A big white teddy bear with a plaid bow. It was really the packaging that had me sucked in. It was the one and only time that the biggest, most glamorous looking package under the tree was for me. I still remember the excitement I felt as it was carried my way.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Oh goodness, yes. I think I have 3 different Precious Moments ones, Aeryn has her own ceramic one, and a couple others that I can't think of because I only set out one small pewter one that is really endearing to me. I fell in love with a stunning yet pricey one at Needless Markup several years back and have been way too selective for my own good ever since.

8. Hardest person to buy for? That would have to be former spouse, hands down. Why do I do that you may ask? Because I believe it's worth it to teach my daughter the value of giving over receiving, as said gifts are to be from her. I sure can't wait until she can think up ideas on her own though.

9. Easiest person to buy for? Is there any parent who will not say children? And Tamra is a close second.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I think I got a bottle of wine once and sent it home with a co-worker. Not that it was a bad gift, just someone who didn't know I wouldn't appreciate it.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Snail mail all the way, although I was tempted to go the electronic route just to actually accomplish the feat of seasonal communication this year.

12. Favorite Christmas movies? White Christmas!!! I love Rosemary and Bing together. And of course the original, animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. We've watched it almost every day for the last two weeks- on VHS no less. A real, old, copy.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I am always Christmas shopping. I just can't always wait til Christmas to give something away if I find a perfect fit for someone. I'm usually done by Thanksgiving and although this year was no exception, I haven't stopped shopping yet.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes. Is that so wrong? Only when it's something that someone else will appreciate much more than I, or a white elephant that is better than anything I'll ever think up. I'm too anti clutter (do not be fooled into thinking my home is tidy. I still manage to accumulate way tooo much) to keep every single thing.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups- although, since you could say that's my favorite at Halloween too I don't know if it counts. Anything off the moochin' tree. Grandma's puffed rice balls. Tamra's roasted garlic mashed potatoes (I don't know if we've ever actually had them for Christmas, but there's one vote from me). Anything Ghirardelli. Other peoples' family favorites left on the porch. Coconut meringue cookies. Cheese popcorn from those huge tins. There is a caramel filled chocolate cookie I make every year, or my dad's queso dip spread on leftover ham and potato roll sandwiches. Mmmm Mmmm Good.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear.

17. Favorite Christmas Song? Angels We Have Heard on High, Carol of the Bells, Handel's Messiah. (Have you noticed I am never able to select just one favorite anything?)

18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? I guess it depends where I'm living in respect to the people I want to be with. If I average the last X years since I turned 18 it's probably pretty evenly split.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? I don't think so as I've never tried.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star, although I have yet to find one I love so I made a bow from wired ribbon recycled off a gift I received and it will have to do until such time as the *perfect* star appears.

1 comments:

Angela S said...

This was great to get to know. If you ask Ty (3) what christmas is about he'll say "Jesus not santa." Right now we're working on the whole we don't do santa thing which has made for some big laughs. Anyway thats how we choose to help focus on Christ at christmas and so far so good. Its actually working.