Sunday, June 17, 2007

More than just a sporting goods store

I had planned on taking Aeryn to the zoo today. It was, however, 94 degrees here this afternoon. Even late morning was too toasty for my taste. While it's not the warmest weather I've ever lived in, I am no longer accustomed to being outside in the sweltering heat. Since Aeryn was lucky enough to get my extremely fair complexion, days like today always make me wonder if I am increasing her life's chance of melanoma. So, we elected to stay indoors.

Last semester I had a professor who took attendance by asking a "question of the day" and having each of us respond in turn. One day the question was "what is the most frequently visited location in the state of Utah." Naturally, the answers were most often the typical ones. Temple Square, Delicate Arch, the airport, etc. One guy hit the nail on the unexpected head when he responded "Cabela's." We all laughed and found it to be a silly response, only to be a bit taken back when it was indeed the correct answer. Yup. Cabela's. The most visited site in the state.

I think I understand why. In place of the zoo, that is where we headed. After all, it is basically a small museum. We walked through the tunnel of fish tanks, meandered through the mountain display with bears, coyotes, and deer, and finished off with the campsite mock up complete with an animatronic mountain man giving a history of different local species. Aeryn was just as interested in this excursion as anytime we have visited a zoo or park with real living, breathing animals. Not to mention- it was free and air conditioned.

Between ducking into the set up tents and looking through all the scopes, I began to wonder why I ever bother with paying for entertainment. I may not be a hunter, but this place keeps my kid happy. Therefore, I love it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never realized Cabelas was so entertaining. Maybe I will have to check it out sometime even though I don't hunt. I would probably enjoy it more than the zoo!